Chapter 43 - A father's plight

Neuvillette's POV

 For a second I felt anger flare within me.

 How dare they-

 To threaten a parent with their child's life-

 To force them to die instead-

 Phew...

 I had to take a deep breath before I lost control.

 While I had hoped this wasn't the case, the idea of it had come to me the second I had realized who this man was.

 Now the biggest help would be for Sedene to contact me as soon as possible.

 "Before coming here I sent someone to the surface to find your daughter."

 My words immediately drew his attention, desperation visible in his eyes.

 It's already been some time since then, so the chances of Sedene contacting me soon are high.

 "My daughter...? Florentine? You found Florentine?"

 That-

 A flash of blue appeared in the air before me, startling everyone around.

 I looked at the envelope floating in the air.

 To Monsieur Neuvillette from Sedene.

 The single line that appeared on the envelope was written in gold. As soon as I saw this my anxious heart calmed down somewhat.

 Sedene writes with gold when she's happy.

 This should be good news then.

 "How your daughter is fairing, we will have to find out together."

 I opened the letter and skimmed through it quickly.

 This...

 It wasn't all good news, but it should do.

 I was prepared to read it out loud when a voice from behind me interrupted.

 "If you're the one to read it, how is he to know that you are telling the truth?" One of the inmates questioned.

 Some of them seemed to have started to realize the reason behind this whole thing at this point.

 Hearing this question, I turned to the anxious father.

 "If you wish, I can give it to someone else to read."

 Relief quickly washed over him as he nodded. He then pointed to a young woman standing within the group.

 I handed her the letter and after some hesitation and encouragement from those around her, she started reading.

 "Dear Monsieur Neuvillette,

 Miss Amalie has delivered your letters and I'm glad to say that the Marechaussee Phantom has found Miss Lemair and brought her back to the Palais Mermonia as instructed.

 She is a bit frightened but otherwise unharmed. I took the liberty to allow her to settle down in your office as I deemed that to be the safest place with both you and Lady Furina away. I hope you will excuse the transgression.

 Miss Lemair was not found with her designated foster family as we had first thought. Upon searching for them, the Marechaussee Phantom found both husband and wife who should have been in charge of her missing. Two piles of clothing were also found at the scene so as of now it is assumed that they were dissolved by water from the Primordail Sea.