Chapter 4 - Difficult morning

Wriothesely's POV

 So surprisingly nothing went wrong.

 While I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if something blew up with how messy this situation feels in my head, having nothing happen was a most pleasant surprise.

 I woke up quite early, even for me, so I decided to go and buy the things I talked about with Neuvillette.

 I was a bit worried when I knocked on the door, hoping that I wouldn't be waking up a whole house's worth of melusines, but it seemed I was overthinking.

 Neuvillette opened the door, one melusine held in his hand while another sat on his shoulders.

 To say he looked like a mess compared to his usual poised attitude would have been a severe understatement.

 He looked like he had fought a war and when I entered I came to realize that in some ways, he indeed was.

 "Has anyone seen my hat?"

 "Where is my coat!"

 "Hey! That's my breakfast!"

 "No way! This is mine! Go find your own!"

 "Aha! My hat!"

 "That's not yours, that's mine!"

 "Then where is my hat?!"

 "No one knows where your hat is, Tristane!"

 Oh, dear archons!

 Neuvillette's house wasn't big enough to have, as I yesterday counted, 48 melusines running about.

 Next to me Neuvillette just sighed, leaving them to their own devices, most likely aware that he wouldn't easily be able to stop this.

 "Please, Your Grace. If you can, find a place to sit." He sighed again.

 It seemed he was far too exhausted to keep up his usual far too polite attitude as that was all he said before skillfully making his way to the kitchen. When his figure disappeared, my attention turned back to the situation at hand.

 Shall I help him out a bit?

 I raised my hand and whistled once.

 Just once, but it was loud enough to draw the attention of not just the melusines, but even have Neuvillette looking out of the kitchen in surprise.

 I sent him an apologetic look before turning to the melusines.

 "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, but you're making an incredibly large mess for Monsieur Neuvillette."

 "I don't-"

 His words stopped when I sent him a glare that could only be translated to:

 You shut up for just a second.

 It was rude, I know, but seriously...

 Hearing my words the girls immediately settled down, looking a bit more guilty than I had meant to.

 This of course earned me a very uncharacteristic glare from the Chief Justice. A glare that, if I say so myself, was worse than the one he shows when someone interrupts the court proceedings.

 I did my best to ignore it, turning back to the girls.

 "Now, there is a far easier way to find your things. A way that will not make Monsieur Neuvillette's house look like a storm had passed through." I chuckled, pointing at the things thrown around below their feet.

The Iudex's day offOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara