Short Story 5 - A crime punishable by death

This side story exists because of a conversation I had with Mystery_Rose1 way back in chapter 111.

 Not exactly a request, but kind of.

~

~

Neuvillette's POV

 I really have gone completely crazy.

 There is no other way I would have agreed to this.

 At the moment, I was sitting in the private room of a high-class restaurant within the Court.

 Furina and Navia were here as well.

 They were the ones who dragged me here.

 I cannot fathom why though. I'm quite sure I'm not the first person anyone would want to go out to eat with.

 Well...

 Wrio would perhaps enjoy it.

 Speaking of Wriothesley.

 "I should go now, Furina. I believe I've entertained you two long enough."

 "Oh, come on. We've only been here for an hour."

 Yes. An hour.

 An hour that could have been used to either finish my work or spend time with Wrio.

 I was just about to stand up when-

 "If you're going to look for the Duke you won't have to go far. Clorinde is bringing him here."

 My eyes narrowed as I looked at the giggling Furina before turning to Navia.

 She in turn waved her arms in defense, motioning back to Furina.

 So it was all her doing after all.

 Sigh...

 And to think that she is still much less troublesome than other archons.

 I relaxed back into my chair, taking as sip of my water as I extended my senses to look for Wriothesley.

 Sure enough, Furina wasn't lying.

 The two of them were just coming up the stairs and approaching our private room.

 "What do you mean someone took Neuvillette out for dinner?!"

 "Wriothesley-"

 "Even I haven't had the chance to take him out to dinner yet! Why on Teyvat would he even agree?! Tsk!"

 Pfft!

 Judging from his fuming words, it appears that he was either lied to or misunderstood something.

 It seems like I wasn't the only one who heard his words either. The people in the room next door apparently noticed it too.

 The rooms might have been soundproofed, but that's only for sound coming from the inside. As for my case, a little wall like that wouldn't achieve much against my hearing.

 "Was that Duke Wriothesley?"

 "Most likely."

 "Who else would call the Chief Justice by name aside from him and Lady Furina?"

 I ignored the three people in the other room and instead focused on Wrio again.

 He had stopped his angry complaints at some point and was now talking to a waiter.

 "The Iudex? Ah! Please let me guide you." The waiter offered.

 I couldn't help but frown at the two women in from of me.