Chapter 28 - Answers (or not)

Wriothesely's POV

 After I was finally somewhat able to get over that teasing smile that Neuvillette flashed for just a few seconds, we finally got to the most important part of the conversation.

 "So, what happened to my criminal record?"

 He stiffened up, opening his mouth a few times to speak but ultimately saying nothing.

 "Neuvillette. What happened to my criminal record?" I asked again.

 He still didn't speak. He even turned away from me, avoiding eye contact for the first time.

 "Neuvillette-"

 "It's disgraceful, unprofessional, and against the law. I don't wish to speak of it." He spat out eventually.

 But he still didn't look me in the eyes.

 "Neuvillette. You will look at me and tell me exactly what happened unless you want me to kick you right back to the surface."

 I thought this would get him to start speaking since he definitely wouldn't want to leave Sigewinne down here alone, but-

 "Then kick me out." He told me bluntly.

 "What?"

 Really?

 You're going there?

 "You think I wouldn't do it?"

 "No, I trust that you would, so just go ahead and do so since I have absolutely no intention of speaking about it."

 This little-

 "Who was it that asked me to allow him to explain a little over ten minutes ago? Just what could be so horrible that you'd rather break both your word and the trust I placed in you?"

 That seemed to do something.

 He flinched, clenching his fist a few times, He finally turned to meet my eyes... 

 "I-"

 And then he turned away once again. 

 "Neuvillette-"

 "I don't think you should have gone to prison. I did not think so back then when I sentenced you and I still do not to this day."

 Even though he still refused to look me in the eyes, that was at least a first step. Though-

 "What? I was clearly guilty though."

 His words were utterly dumbfounding. 

 That was definitely the last thing that I would have expected to hear from him of all people.

 Neuvillette.

 The Iudex.

 The Chief Justice.

 "You sentenced me though."

 Are you saying you didn't want to do so?

 "You pleaded guilty to all charges. How could I not have sentenced you?" He snapped, finally making eye contact.

 And this was the first time I had seen so much conflict in his eyes. So many swirling emotions.

 "So what? If I didn't plead guilty you would have deemed me not guilty then? What of the Oratrice? That thing clearly seemed to agree with me."

 "Had you not pleaded guilty, we would have been forced to let you go on grounds of a lack of evidence."

 "Lack of evidence? Neuvillette, I might not be as old as you, but I'm not an idiot. I know damn well that there was more than enough evidence even for a five-year-old to convict-"