Chapter 52 - The truth behind the heartbreak

Wriothesely's POV

 For just a split second, I felt his lips on my cheek.

 And then they were gone, his head once again buried in my arms.

 You-

 Nauvillette...

 How can I stop you from hurting so much?

 How can I help you?

 I reached down to wipe away one of the tears now streaming freely down his face.

 At least he was able to let go.

 At least he allowed himself to cry.

 Maybe one day...

 Maybe one day he will feel like he can tell me.

 I can wait.

 I can wait for you to trust me.

 Just then, my finger touched the tear streaming down his face and-

 The world around me twisted, the surroundings changing.

 I was back in the Opera Eclipse.

 Neuvillette was gone-

 No.

 Wait.

 This is...

 In front of me, I could see both Neuvillette and Lady furina glaring at each other at the table.

 "Neuvillette!"

 "What is it this time, Furina? Should I have allowed you to blurt out that nonsense you call a plan B, perhaps?"

 "Nonsense?! That is the only plan we can for sure know would work!" She retorted.

 Without saying another word, Neuvillette stood up, ready to leave.

 "Not another step, Neuvillette! You will stay right here till we finish discussing this!"

 The dragon snapped back at her shout.

 "Discussing? What is there to discuss, Furina? You will not be going through with that nonsense, so you might as well forget about it."

 "Whether or not I go through with it-"

 "I won't allow it!" Neuvillette shouted.

 At that moment the Neuvillette standing by the table overlapped with the one I saw crying on the floor.

 "I won't allow it!"

 The sentence repeated inside my mind again.

 "You won't allow me to do what I must to save my people?! Shall I remind you that I'm an archon, Neuvillette?! I must do what I can to protect my nation!"

 "Oh, so you do know that you're the archon of Fontaine? If you do, then why do you wish to go and die and leave your nation, your people, for me to save?! You overestimate me, Furina!"

 "Overestimate?! Are you saying you cannot do exactly that, you cannot save a single nation if you had your full power?! Are you saying that one of the Seven Sovereigns cannot even do this much?!"

 Unexpectedly, Neuvillette let out a sharp and mocking laugh.

 I wasn't the only one surprised by this uncharacteristic action, Furina too seemed stumped for words.

 "Oh, no, no. You misunderstand, Furina."

 His voice softened as he walked behind the archon.

 He leaned in, towering over her as he placed a hand on the table, leaning against it.