Chapter 66 - For me, for you, for the both of us

Wriothesely's POV

 "Are you going to help Dad handle his business, Unlce Wriothesely?" 

 Uncle Wriothesely...?

 At some point that seemed to have caught on among the melusines.

 "Even if you are, could you not just go over there by ship and jump from that? You could get severely injured jumping from this height."

 "I know, Aeval."

 Believe me, I know.

 While the melusine was busy handling some things on the Aquabus, I sent a glare at the man sitting on the seat across from me.

 "This is the only way"

 The only way my ass.

 I swear he knew what I was thinking because right after that thought, I saw his eyes travel downwards.

 I promptly ignored the teasing look from the perverted side of Neuvillette I definitely didn't need to meet.

 Thinking back to it...

 "I don't want to forget it."

 "Horrible decision."

 "Probably."

 "Then why did you make it?"

 "Why did you give me a choice?" I asked back.

 He could have kept this to himself. I would never have known.

 For a second he looked at me completely stunned before letting out a chuckle.

 He buried his face in his hands muttering:

 "I don't know."

 He repeated that a few times, each repeat getting softer and sifter till he finally looked up.

 And there it was.

 That soft smile that was so unmistakably Neuvillette.

 "Maybe deep down I know that this is in the end, your choice."

 My choice.

 Right. In the end, this is my choice, so...

 Back then...

 I had...

 ---

 Earlier

 I leaned over, brushing his hair to the side before placing a small kiss on his forehead.

 "Don't cry."

 "I'm not."

 "But you're about to."

 You're avoiding my eyes and every time they inevitably meet as you glance up, I can see the tears starting to gather in them.

 "Sorry..." He mumbled.

 "What are you apologizing for this time?"

 "For being so weak and useless. For having you risking your life for-"

 "I'm gonna cut you off right there. I'm not risking my life for you, I'm doing this for me."

 "Wrio-"

 "I want to have enough time to scold you for your little disappearing act till I get bored." I grinned.

 It was forced and I knew it.

 He knew it too, but he seemed to accept the gesture as he leaned into my hand.

 "Anything you want to do?"