Chapter 47 - A reckless idiot

Wriothesely's POV

"I'll be going then."

I said goodbye to the group after handling everything that was urgent and headed back to Meropide.

As for those who remained behind...

As Trow, the other members of the Phantom, and the gardes had been directly involved in this incident as the victims and some were still somewhat shaken up, Veleda took charge of the proceedings under Lady Furina's orders.

Everyone was to go and give their statements, but I was let go and exempted for now because of the special circumstances.

Before I left, Lady Furina told me to tell Neuvillette that she would help Sedene with babysitting after she was done handling the captured criminals. Whatever that meant.

On our way back, Claude told me what happened in Meropide and allowed my anxious heart to calm down somewhat.

"So, no casualties and no major damages?"

"None at all, Your Grace. Well, none that we could tell, anyway. It is still unknown how much damage has been caused by the water that burst in before Monsieur Neuvillette stopped it."

If that's our biggest worry, then that's good.

We descended into the fortress and made our way over to the production zone.

Claude had gone ahead, saying something about salvaging the situation.

When I got down there, I found him talking to the engineers, scratching his head in confusion.

Wait.

"Where is the Chief Justice?" I asked.

I expected him to be here, handling the mess that most likely came to be because of the situation, but there was neither a mess nor Neuvillette.

"Your Grace! Wonderful to have you back!"

"Right! It is good to know that you're fine."

"Completly fine and healthy. Not injured, I hope."

They all looked at me hopefully and let out a sigh of relief when I nodded.

"Thank the archons!"

"I thought we would all die from the pressure."

Claude gave me a look that seemed to say: I told you so.

Did Neuvillette really frighten them so much?

But again.

"Where is the Chief Justice." I asked again.

An awkward silence descended.

"We..."

"We aren't sure, Your Grace."

"What?"

"Some time ago, he just took off his coat and walked off, telling us not to follow him."

Only then did I spot the familiar blue coat hanging on the back of a chair.

What is he up to?

He wouldn't do something reckless and dangerous again, right?

...

Ugh!

Come on!

Neuvillette!

Can't you stay ut for just an hour?

But surely he wouldn't do anything stupid.

I doubt there is anything down here that could hurt him anyway.