Chapter 45 - Is that a threat?

3rd Person POV

 "Mo-monsieur Neuvillette?" The engineer called out shakily.

 Just a moment ago the two had been discussing the state of Meropide's structure in piece.

 The poor man couldn't fathom why the Iudex was suddenly surrounded by such a frightening aura.

 His brows were furrowed and his eyes seemed to flash with pure rage.

 The dragon took a deep breath and as calmly as he could called out: 

 "Claude."

 He did shout as loudly as Wriothesely, but his voice echoed throughout the production zone.

 The people around looked up for a moment, surprised by the sudden call, but soon went back to their own things, used to this uncommon way of getting hold of the boy.

 Within just seconds Claude appeared in front of Neuvillette.

 "Monsieur Neuvillette? Is there something I can do for you?"

 "I'm going to send you to the surface."

 "I've said before that I-"

 "This is not a job offer. I want you to make sure Duke Wriothesely is safe and sound and come back to report it to me the second you've done so."

 "Did something happen to His Grace?" Claude asked anxiously.

 This question drew the attention of the engineers around.

 Those who had been avoiding the conversation of the pair out of respect for the Iudex were now keenly listening in.

 "Yes."

 This time, it wasn't a maybe.

 It was a strong yes.

 "What-"

 "I don't know." Neuvillette interrupted him.

 He might have looked calm on the outside, but the dragon was fuming on the inside.

 Someone dared to threaten Wriothesely's life!

 Someone actually dared to touch his-

 His what?

 Friend?

 Aquainctance?

 Collegue? 

 Whatever Wriothesely was to him, no one should be allowed to harm him as long as Neuvillette lived.

 But still, someone dared to do so.

 This day truly was testing the dragon's patience, stretching it far beyond its limits.

 Taking another deep breath he pulled a map out of his pocket.

 He placed it on the table and drew a route through the city.

 "Here. When you exit the fortress follow this route. If you feel like you got lost or aren't sure about where you are, you can show the map to anybody you see and they will show you the way."

 "But-"

 "This map bears my seal. Everybody within the Court knows it. They will not hesitate to help."

 Still, Claude hesitated.

 It didn't take long for Neuvillette to figure out the reason.

 Ah...

 Right.

 The boy had never been outside to fortress. How could I have forgotten?

 To burden him with such a thing-