Chapter 48 - When the sun shines in Fontaine

Finally! Here it is! That chapter!

 I was so excited to write this!

 This chapter will start in Wriothesely's POV and at some point switch to Neuvillette's but I won't put a warning when that happens.

 I tried that and it really screws with the flow of this one, but I will make it as obvious as possible.

~

~

 We got back to my office under the piercing stares of everyone around us.

 With the two of us walking together again, I was expecting to hear some more traumatizing comments but-

 "Uhm... Monsieur Neuvillette... Thank you for...stopping the water. Please be mindful of your health."

 "Sir... Thank you for saving my friend."

 "Thank you for stopping this, Mosnieur Neuvillette."

 After the first few, I had to subtly start waving at them not to approach as I felt that Neuvillette had absolutely no idea what to make of all this at the moment.

 But even if I did that...

 "I reckon you will receive quite a few letters by tomorrow."

 Maybe even today.

 "Letters... will still be alright." He mumbled.

 I held back a chuckle seeing the small blush that had crept up his neck.

 Though...

 He seems much quieter than usual.

 He looks so out of it.

 "Are you okay?" 

 Did he get hurt?

 "I'm quite alright, thank you, Your Grace." He smiled.

 And I had never seen a smile more obviously forced.

 My urge to scold him diminished greatly after seeing that smile, and I decided to settle on just explaining to him, how it would be a hundred times better if he told someone, anyone, what he was going to do before actually doing it.

 After we got to my office and closed the door, I was about to start that very same explanation when-

 I was suddenly enveloped in a tight hug.

 "My apologies. I just... need a moment like this it seems." Neuvillette mumbled, his head buried in my shoulder.

  My body slowly relaxed as I shifted very slightly in his arms.

  "Neuvillette?"

 "I'm sorry."

 "What?"

 "You were in danger and I wasn't there."

 This idiot-

 "It wasn't that dangerous-"

 "That conch I gave you reacts to physical changes brought on by certain thoughts. Some of them will be transferred over to me like a warning."

 "Neuvillette, I really-"

 "I'm going to die." He said emotionlessly.

 I stiffened.

 "That was the thought that brought on the most intense reaction."

 "That-"

 "Even if it was just for a split second, that thought that you could- that you would die had surfaced in your mind."