Chapter 107 - Before the trial

Congratulations to OchixxxMystery_Rose1Wriolleteshiper, and AquaJasper for guessing the identity of the mastermind!

 Now the last part of the story has started!

 Prepare yourself for the finale!

~

~

3rd Person POV

 "So what do you think about it?"

 "About what?"

 "This trial, you morron. What else?"

 "I thought that you were talking about Monsieur Neuvillette's horrible mood in the past few days."

 "The what now?"

 The two Fontainians stopped in their track, both looking at each other completely confused.

 "Monsieur Neuvillette is in a bad mood? He is capable of being in a bad mood?"

 "How can you not know about it?! Riche has been complaining about it for days now! He said the whole Palais Mermonia is like a mouse trap ready to snap close as soon as you make a wrong move."

 "My mind has been preoccupied with this trial, okay? Now spill it. What happened?"

 The man sighed looking at his clueless friend.

 "A few days back Monsieur Neuvillette had a select few members of the Gardes and the Phantom called into his office. That's when everything started apparently.

 Within the next few hours, twenty or so people were rounded up and locked in holding cells with 24/7 monitoring. If that wasn't enough, there was another group escorted from Meropide to the surface and locked up along with the others.

 That was before the announcements were made for the Trial of the Masses."

 "So those people that were rounded up were probably the people that are a part of that organization, right? I don't see how this would put Monsieur Neuvillette in a bad mood."

 "Have you not seen the list of people that are being charged?"

 "I have. What of it?"

 As if to prove that he had indeed seen the list, the man pulled out a copy, waving it in front of his friend.

 The piece of paper was quickly yanked out of his hands as the other pointed to the name on the top of the list.

 "This one."

 "Yes? What's with that guy?"

 "Ugh! You idiot! Tsk! Nevermind! You'll find out later." 

 And with that, the man shoved the paper back into the other's hands before storming off towards the Opera.

 "Hey! Hey! Wait a minute! Wait for me!"

 He ran after his friend only to find him staring forward blankly a few steps away.

 "What now?"

 "Are we early?"

 "No. Why?"

 Instead of answering, the other just pointed forward to-

 "Monsieur Neuvillette? If he's outside then we might really be early."

 "You are most definitely not early." A cheerful voice came from behind them.