Chapter 108 - Faults and blame

It was brought to my attention that I might have caused mass panic. That wasn't the last chapter but rather the start of the last arc.

Oh, and just so you guys know, this story is gonna have a Part 2 and side stories.

 After all, I have to keep my side of the deal I made with Mystery_Rose1 

~

~

 Wriothesley's POV

 "The trial shall now commence!" Neuvillette's voice echoed through the Opera Epiclese.

 "God, that's hot."

 "Duke Wriothesley, please spare me from hearing you expressing your amazement with your husband and keep your observations to yourself." Lady Furina grumbled.

 "Excuse me?"

 "I don't want to know whether or not you think Neuvillette is hot. You just said that out loud, you lovestruck fool."

 "Oh."

 Oops.

 "Please give me some leeway, Lady Furina. Even you cannot say that this angle doesn't do him some favors." I motioned toward Neuvillette.

 Like damn.

 No wonder Lady Furina always sits here. It's got the best view in the whole opera.

 "I usually watch the trial from here, not Neuvillette, Duke Wriothesley."

 "But you cannot tell me that he doesn't look good from here." I retorted.

 Naturally, even she had nothing to say to that.

 But...

 "Will he be okay?" I couldn't help but mutter.

 "Aren't you here in case he won't be?"

 "Oh? But I thought I was here because the law requires it, Lady Furina."

 "We both know damn well that you could have charmed Neuvillette into finding you a reason to stay home today."

 "Do I truly hold that much power?"

 "Please keep your teasing for your husband, Duke Wriothesley. Speaking of your husband, he has gotten himself into quite the staredown with the defendant." Lady Furina pointed downwards.

 And indeed.

 That guy...

 Tsk!

 I didn't like him from the start.

-

A few days ago, Neuvillette's office

"So you're saying..."

 "Yes, it's  him."

 I stared at the file in my hand in shock.

 Gerald Traver

 Chief investigator of the Merechaussee Phantom.

 Mostly in charge of low-profile but high-impact cases.

 100% success rate

 Cases solved: 128

 I could feel Neuvillette pacing around the room as I read through the file.

 "I should have known. I should have paid more attention. This-"

 "Enough, Neuvillette." I interrupted him.