𝐂𝐡. 𝟑𝟓 | 𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐥

Chase

Staring at her pretty face finally sleeping a peaceful sleep was gold for me. I swear I must have saved an entire fucking universe to have her want me to stay the night beside her in her weakest time.

It made me happy knowing that I could offer her the same type of security Luka does or anything near it. It's become a competition at this point. An unwilling competition.

The sun rose so fast as if it wanted the night to shoo away and deprive me of more time with her like this.

Now before Luka spotted me in her room, I had gotten up off the floor feeling my legs numbed from sitting cross-legged, so my hand didn't move an inch to disturb her sleep.

Slowly, freeing my hand out of hers, I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. I slowly exited her room, quietly because Luka was on the opposite side.

"Chase," his voice reached my ears as I took my first step down the stairs.

As a reaction, my lips mush together. Slowly turning my body, I start to see him. He stands there with crossed arms and a hurtful expression.

"When did you get here?" he questioned very unaffectionately.

"Just a while ago. I thought I'd see how she's doing after the incident," I lied awkwardly rubbing the back of my neck.

"She's asleep," he winced his eyes.

"I figured. So, I let it be," I muttered with fear.

Did he see me there? Did he see our hands locked in each others?

"Hm. You should get back home and rest. Considering you've spent the night at the station," he sounded mad.

"You're right. I'll see you later," I say, hurrying down the stairs.

No conversation has ever been this awkward between me and Luka. I'm convinced he must have seen us last night. But then he would have grabbed me by the collar and dragged me out of the house by now. Maybe he's just worried about Liya.

Whatever it was I left Liya a message behind on her phone, so she doesn't go into madman mode when she doesn't see me there. Not that I think she cares enough to, or I matter enough to. I was currently out on bail though.

As soon as I reached home, I had my father and mother along with my stepbrother Michael and his pathetic girlfriend waiting for me.

Yes. I had just figured out why my father was so eager about this deal with him. He had secretly married this woman in Dubai a few years ago. Dubai allowed polygamy, which is why he could get away with it there. But here, he couldn't and it was only a matter of time before the news hit the media.

Michael had a cast around his neck and arm with some stitches along his lips. How did they even set free someone in such a critical condition?

"There he is!" my stepmother yells.

"Get out of my house," I instructed each and every one of them.

"Chase," my mother came to me with a face full of makeup.

My lips twitched with anger looking at the monster that had laid his hands on her again. I was helpless here. I had given this pathetic bastard a reason to lay his hands on his wife.

"Look at what you've done to him," my father grabs me by the collar to pick a fight.

"Obviously not enough since he stands here alive!" I shout pushing him away from me.

I fixed my shirt and looked at him. What a pathetic man. Then to Anna who started giving me the eyes. They're so perfect for each other that I could throw up.