MJA: Work Begins

It's been months since I stepped into work ever since the engagement party disaster. I was really nervous. What if the security checks changed and my credentials failed all of my access? That's not possible. I was the one who set up the entire system. Unless,someone changed it.......So many things were going through my mind. None of which consisted of Victor. I had to stay focused. 

Jean dropped me off at the main lobby entrance. I carried all of my stuff and made sure no one saw me. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. I definitely did not want to hear any 'condolences' or 'welcome back' in the most insincere, cheery tone from random people.

I entered the lobby area and no one was in sight. That was good news. I made my way through the security checks and headed towards the elevator area. Just then, I realized I dropped something and my hands were too full to grab them. That, was a bad start.

Out of nowhere, I heard footsteps. Someone was definitely running towards me.

Man: Excuse me, Miss Anderson. You dropped these. (picking up the cables from the floor)

I turned around and put everything on the floor. Before me, stood a man in brown laced loafers which looked a bit worn out. He had a light colored hoodie and a denim jacket on. My immediate thoughts were "he must be the maintenance guy".

MJ: Thank you.......(collecting the cables)

Man: That's a lot of stuff you have there. Let me give you a hand with those..... (grabbing the huge box from Melanie)

As much as I was hesitant to let him help me, I knew that he was about to make my trip upstairs a lot easier. I was trying to think of a reply and the elevator chimed.

MJ: Thank you......

The elevator door opened and we stepped in together.

MJ: So.....which department are you from?

Man: Erm....photoshoot......and set....erm.....on the fourth floor....

MJ: Oh! Have we met? I can't recall ever seeing you during photoshoots......

Man: Actually, I have seen you at the photoshoots. I don't think we've ever actually spoken to each other though......I'm kinda new here.......I just started working here  a few months ago.....

MJ: I see.......what uh......what's your name?

Man: Capri. Mike Capri.

MJ: It's nice to meet you, Mr. Capri. (smiles) I'm Melanie Jayne.....erm.......

Mike: (laughs) I know who you are, Miss Anderson.......

MJ: (blushing) Right.......

I lead Mike across the hallway passing the meeting rooms and several administrative desks. I looked straight ahead and made sure no one spoke to me. I opened my office and let Mike in.

MJ: You can put those on the floor......

Mike: Ok. (putting everything on the floor) Is....everything ok?

MJ: (setting up the desk area) Why wouldn't it be?

Mike: Oh erm.....everyone stood up and stared as we passed......

MJ: Oh, it's probably nothing. I just haven't been around in a while......

Mike: Ok......Is there anything else I can help you with, Miss Anderson?

MJ: (busy setting up the computers) Hmm.....? Sorry, no......I mean....Thank you, Mr. Capri.

Mike: It's Mike. No problem, Miss Anderson. I'll just be on my way then......