MJA: Fragments

I grew up on my own, most of the time. Every problem that had ever occurred in my life was my problem to resolve. Every trouble I ever got into growing up was my responsibility. Jean would supervise me and tries to keep me safe but he doesn't really tell me what to do. He isn't there to hug me when I was feeling down or needed advice with girl issues because he works for me and he made that clear. I loved him like family still,regardless. I was aware that he was trying to do the best he could and he could only do so much. I wasn't exactly the perfect little girl growing up. I was constantly getting myself into some sort of mess. However, I do recall times when he would go beyond for me because we are very close and he knows that I don't have anyone else in my life.

Whenever he had to pick me up from school because I got into some trouble, he would take me out. We'd find a place to sit and talk it all out. I would start out crying at first but after a while, he would say things to make me feel better and he would make me realize that it wasn't even that big of a deal to begin with. He's very good at that. Sometimes, I would refuse to participate or join any team activities because I had always felt like I could never fit in. Jean would always know what to say to encourage me and guide me. I don't think I could ever get through most of my life without him. I would like to think that if he did anything at all it was because he wanted to protect me.

Victor was worried about me refusing to eat. I didn't have dinner and I haven't eaten anything since meeting Lorenzo. I just didn't want to be around anyone. I had a lot to think about and I had too much new information to process. I don't know what Victor was told but I can guess. He usually isn't that good at keeping things to himself especially when it came to me. I had so many questions about a lot of things. On the top of my list was why Jean would not tell me why he was keeping in touch with Mike. I am not going to bother asking why he and Nicole kept the secret about why my dad is alive but not with me. I just know that I am going to get a cliche reply.

Victor: (sits down beside Melanie) Melanie Jayne......aren't you going to eat? At least a little bit?

MJ: I'm not hungry.......

Victor: What are you thinking about?

MJ: A lot of things......

Victor: May I know what things?

MJ: It's nothing important, really....... (looks at Victor) I'm fine........

Victor knows that I am not fine and he knows that whatever it is that is bugging me is keeping me up at night. I also know that he knows what sort of things are bothering me and that he is only trying to speak to me to neutralize the situation. I can play this game too.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Victor got up and opened it. I heard voices at the door but I didn't bother to see who it was. There were footsteps and the door closed. Jean approached me at the balcony and sat next to me. I ignored him and looked out into the ocean.

Jean: I've come to speak to you, Miss Anderson.

MJ: Why?

Jean: I know there are things that have been recently revealed which may have upset you.......Please believe me, it was done for the best........

MJ: For the best what? Reasons? Excuses? I trusted you, Jean! I trusted you like family! I looked up to you like......like.......(starts to cry) God knows, what other things you've been lying about all my life! You said it will always be you and me......and look where we are now! And to think that you were talking to Victor about all this too!

Jean: Mr. Keel had only learned about your father today, Miss Anderson. Please try to understand.......

MJ: I'm done trying! I am done with everyone! Please! Just leave me alone! (continues crying)