Mike Capri: The Secret Meeting

Melanie Jayne and I have been working together remotely without anyone at the office knowing. It's not because it's a secret relationship. We just need to be discreet about what we are discussing and investigating. She is terrified of something which I have yet to discover. I just cannot bring myself to dive into the gossips and tabloids and rumours because I truly believe that Melanie Jayne is a good person. I am aware that we have only known each other for several weeks but something tells me that there is someone out there who is really trying to hurt her. Someone closer to her than she might think.

It was the beginning of another work week after Nicole's party. As I was heading out to work, I received a text message from Victor Keel. He stated that he needed to meet with me privately and that it is best if Melanie Jayne did not know anything about our meeting. My immediate thought was that he may have information regarding our ongoing investigation since that was the last thing I asked about when we last met.  I was a bit confused as to why he wanted meet without Melanie Jayne knowing.

I texted Melanie Jayne that I was going to be a bit late into work because I had some personal matter to attend to. As soon as she replied, acknowledging that everything was ok on her end, I asked Victor where he wanted to meet. I hate lying especially to Melanie Jayne.

Victor waited for me at a small cafe near the subway station. It was a slight detour from my route to work but Victor insisted that it was crucial that we met discreetly. As I headed towards the cafe, I see Victor sitting against the wall with his reading glasses and a newspaper from the cafe window. He had a teapot and a cup of tea on the table with some biscuits just as he did at his apartment.

Mike: (approaching Victor's table) Hey, you're early! (pulls out a chair)

Victor: (smiles) I wouldn't want to keep you waiting.....Would you like some tea?

Mike: (sitting down) I'll pass. I'm gonna meet up with Melanie Jayne later.....

Victor: I see.......erm....How is she?

Mike: She's great. Ya know, getting things back in order at work and all....

Victor: That's....that's great news.....

Mike: So....what's this about?

Victor: Oh, right.....erm......Where shall I begin?......

Mike: I am assuming you have some sort of information regarding who is behind the media getting all the information.....

Victor: Yes. That! (clears throat and takes a sip of tea) Well.....you see.....erm....Melanie Jayne and I.....we were......erm....

Mike: Engaged?

Victor: Yes. And erm....as you already know.....things didn't go quite as planned......

Mike: And why is that?

Victor: You didn't read the news?

Mike: You mean the tabloids online? No.

Victor: Curious. Why is that?

Mike: I don't like it. It's not something I gravitate towards.....

Victor: Tell me....how long have you two been dating?

Mike: What?!

Victor: I know you are close. I can clearly see that. Are you sleeping with her?

Mike: What?! No! You gotta stop! I work for Melanie Jayne and I'm helping her with this because of how messed up she was the day she discovered all the things the media had released to the public......

Victor: Messed up? Is she alright?

Mike: She's fine now.....

Victor: What do you mean by "messed up"?

Mike: I'm not....gonna get into that right now......If you wanted to tell me something,you do it now or I'm gonna go.....

Victor: Please,Michael. I need to know. How is Melanie Jayne? Really.......

Mike: She's fine,Victor. She's perfectly fine.

Victor: (sighs) God, there had never been a single day that went by without me wishing things had been different.....

Mike: O.....kay...... (confused)

Victor: Sharon. Her name was.....is Sharon......

Mike: Who is Sharon?

Victor: That woman. In the video.......Melanie Jayne didn't say anything about her?

Mike: She never mentioned anybody named Sharon......not in the guest list, at least....Sorry, I have to ask.......What video are you talking about?

Victor: Oh, Mr. capri. You said you were investigating. (leans across the table towards Mike and whispers) I was in that video, Michael. The one that's been circulating all over the media.......

Mike: ........what?....... (confused)

Victor: What on earth do you actually know, Michael? Huh? What did she tell you?

Mike: She said something happened that night......You broke off with her on the night of the engagement party......

Victor: And you believe, just like that, she spiralled down into a never-ending depression?

Mike: Which you caused, by the way.....

Victor: (takes a deep breath) She caught me.....in the library.......with that woman,Michael.....

Mike: ........

Victor: Say what you want. Think what you want of me......

Mike: But....she never mentioned any of this.....not the video....not the library.....How could she not have known if she was the one who walked in on you?

Victor: She didn't wait around to see.....For God's sake!

Mike: Look, I'm not here to judge.......Let me get this straight, she walked in and saw you and she immediately left?

Victor: She locked herself up in her bedroom. She stayed in there for weeks on end.......Oh God, what have I done.........(leans back onto the chair) 

Mike: But....Nicole said she's been missing for months.....3 months to be exact......

Victor: I was there, at her house......at her bedroom door.......but after a couple of weeks, Nicole kicked me out . She said I was causing her all this pain.....

Mike: Does Nicole know what happened?

Victor: I cannot say...... Nicole and I.....haven't spoken to each other ever since.......