MJA: Why

My thoughts kept going back to the day Mike told me to leave his room at the hospital. He told me to just leave and take Victor with me. He was angry at me for bringing Victor with me there. He was angry because I said I wanted things to go back to how it used to be. He asked if that meant back when Victor and I were still engaged and that he never came into my life. I couldn't understand why he would think such a thing. I couldn't understand why he didn't want me to protect Victor just as much. Looking back now, I couldn't protect anyone at all. I just kept making things worse for everyone. I kept doing and saying all the wrong things from the beginning. Maybe there had always been something wrong with me and everyone else is just putting up with me. I can't change anything now. I can't change things that have already happened. I can't bring Mike back to life. All I know is that Nicole had found him and put him to rest. I hope he is at peace now. 

We got home and we were just ready to take a long nap throughout the afternoon till tea time. I just kept thinking about Lorenzo. Who was he? Why did he keep talking to me and not anyone else? Why was he in the photograph in the house? Was he family? All these thoughts kept running through my mind as I sank myself into the warm, fuzzy, bubbly hot bathtub. I rested my head and shut my eyes. As I was slowly falling into somewhere between being asleep and awake, I heard a voice calling my name. He sounded so close. He sounded like he was splashing in water. He sounded like he was calling for help. He sounded like Mike. I tried to look for him but I quickly realized that I was splashing in the water as well. I was swimming and trying to breathe. I was drowning. I kept trying to swim up for air but I just couldn't get out of the water. I was slowly blacking out and I felt someone grabbing me, pulling me out of the water. It was Victor.

Victor: Melanie Jayne! (trying to wake Melanie up) Melanie Jayne! Help! Theodore! Help!

I found myself lying on a field of soft, green grass. The sun was shining directly into my eyes. It was so bright that I could hardly open my eyes. I heard someone talking to me. He sounded very near. He sounded like Mike.

Mike: Melanie Jayne? Are you up? You gotta come see this! Come on!

I tried to find him. I could hear him but I couldn't see him. I tried reaching my hand out to see if he was there. I felt someone holding my hand. He was kissing it, asking me to wake up. I opened my eyes and I saw Victor looking down at me as I was lying in bed.

MJ: Victor?

Victor: Oh, thank God! (hugs Melanie) I thought I lost you! (starts to cry) I thought I lost you!

I looked around and saw Theodore, Jean, Nicole, Leo and Christopher standing in the room just looking at me. I was confused.

MJ: What happened? Why is everyone here?

Nicole: You fell asleep in the tub and almost drowned, MJ. Victor found you just in time....... Theo helped revived you........

MJ: What? I was just.....I just shut my eyes for a bit.......

Christopher: Are you ok, mommy? (sits next to Melanie on the bed)

MJ: I'm fine. (smiles)

Nicole asked Theodore and Leo to leave the room with Christopher and shut the door behind them.

Nicole: You need serious help.

MJ: I'm fine. I'll just.....avoid the tub......whatever.......

Victor: Melanie Jayne......please talk to me. Tell me what's bothering you.I told you I'm here and I wanna listen. Please....... (holds Melanie's hand)

MJ: I couldn't tell you even if I wanted to. I don't know what's bothering me. I don't think anything is. I'm fine. Maybe I'm just a little tired. (looks at Victor) I'll just avoid the tub for now, ok? It's all good. I'm just tired.