MJA: Battle

Mike and Melanie Jayne were never meant to share the closeness like they did. Melanie Jayne had always been one to follow her heart and lets it take her to wherever it leads her, wherever that may be. Mike never had any plans whatsoever. He just falls in and out of a routine until it changes again. For the longest time, his routine was work and work and work. He had to make ends meet, whatever that meant. There were bills to pay and that was that. His apartment had always been the one he had been living in ever since he had to take care of his mom. He never bothered to move elsewhere and he never bothered to find ways to get a new car or a new phone. He always felt like it was pointless to do anything beyond what he already was accustomed to because there was no need for such things.

When he was working at the bar, he realized that everyone he's ever talked to there had the same problem. Money. He never felt like it was a necessary problem. Why bother adding more problems to yourself when you already have existing ones? The only reason he decided to stop bartending was because the working hours were getting to him. He realized that he was not as young as he used to be and he couldn't do what he used to do. Working for Melanie Jayne's company was very different. It wasn't a desk job which was something he was very thankful for. There weren't any proper restrictions where working hours were concerned. He just had to show up between certain times and he would be good to go. It was the easiest thing he's ever done in his life. And he was getting a decent pay for it too. Way more than what he would usually get from doing overtime at the bar. He couldn't have asked for a better job.

He just never thought he would meet Melanie Jayne. And worse, he never anticipated to ever get involved with her on a personal level. Mike had never had a girlfriend in his life. He never had the time for it even if he found a girl he liked in school. He knew he couldn't commit and he knew the kinds of problem he would eventually get himself mixed up with so it was best if he stayed clear of it until he was sure the time was right. Melanie Jayne was never someone he thought he'd want to get involved with especially on an intricate level. On a perplexing level. On a romantic level. She was not the type of person he ever thought he would ever speak to in his life and yet, he spent so many hours of his day and night with her. How did it ever come this? Without realizing it, he became more committed to spending time with her more than wanting to work for her. He couldn't really tell where the line was anymore at some point and it became very complicated for him.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Samuel was approaching and we were running out of time. Leo had already set up the audio defence systems as well as radio jammers. We were going to play in the dark. Jean and I know the house inside out and all the modifications made within the last 24 hours are at the back of our hands. At the sound of the first breach, we will move out. Our weapons are equipped with silencers to enable stealth mode. Victor is in camouflage to cover me as I hunt. Leo will watch him with thermal imagers and the geolocating rangefinder. It sounds like a proper plan but we still have to take extra precautions because we don't know who is with Samuel. If he really is coming in with RC, we may be outnumbered because RC does not play nice.

I looked over at Jean. He was calm. I took a deep breath and took one last look at Victor. He smiled at me like he was saying goodbye. I had to stay focused. My goal is to protect Victor and Jean and Christopher and Nicole and Leo. I cannot let anything else throw me off. There are people who still need me. I cannot falter. I cannot go down. Not without a fight. Samuel has already taken from me. I will not let him take more. I wanted to be clear about one thing so I radio-ed everyone one last transmission before going out.

MJ: Samuel is mine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The alarm went off at the sound of an explosion. That was an attack. Our defence is under attack. We had to move out. Leo got the lights out and played the music out loud. I had a really nice playlist curated for this. I thought that if I needed to get down and dirty, I might as well have some good music to play along. This was also a distraction while the radio jammers take effect. We had to move quick because we had to take down as many mercenaries as possible in a short amount of time with the least usage of ammo. Jean and I had a counter for every person we took down. It helped keep us motivated.