MJA: The Aftermath

Mike was still trying to grasp what was happening. Everything happened too fast and by the time it was almost over, he realized that I was already bleeding on the floor. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I was crying on the walkway outside the office building. Mike was holding onto me. He whispered to me saying that he was going to take me home and called Jean. He arrived shortly with the car and helped Mike get me into the backseat of the car. I was still crying so much that my head began to hurt. Mike sat with me in the backseat, holding me in his arms. I didn't want to go home because I didn't want to go anywhere familiar.

MJ: Jean.....please.....just drive.....anywhere......I can't......

Jean looked at me from the rear view mirror and nodded. He knew what to do. This wasn't the first time something like this has ever happened to me. He used to drive me around when I was younger. Sometimes, I'd come back from school crying and he never asked questions. He just drove me around and sometimes, he'd take me to places that make me happy like the lakeside just outside of town. He'd sit with me and we'd talk about the birds and the plants till I felt better. 

I once accidentally burned down the entire school hall from a science experiment that went wrong. I couldn't contain the self formulated magma from the volcano simulation I was presenting and everything started melting and burning and I got suspended from school for about a week. Jean picked me up from school because Nicole's father was out of town. I was all dirty and some parts of my leg burnt. My clothes were all black from the smoke and there were several fire trucks from several fire departments that came over to put out the fire. I was making headlines even when I was in school.

Mike held me close and tight in the backseat of the limo as Jean drove us out of the city area. I closed my eyes and pressed my face against Mike's chest. He was so warm and hearing his heart beating made me feel safe. He kissed my forehead and rested his head on mine. I could feel my heart slowing down to a calmer pace. I was slowly starting to relax. I didn't realize that the sun had gone down and the city lights were so bright. We almost made it to the highway when suddenly there was a loud bang. My head was ringing. Everything outside was spinning and we were floating for a bit and then I realized that our car was hit by something so fast and massive and that we were sliding with the car roof on the ground.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicole and Victor were still at my office. Victor was crying on the couch and Nicole just stood at my desk watching him. 

Victor: Why'd you do it,Nicole?.......... 

Nicole: Someone had to tell her.......

Victor: I meant Sharon. Why did you let her into the party that night?

Nicole: She's your wife, Victor! Have some decency!

Victor: (chuckled) My wife......We were in the middle of a divorce. I met with her some weeks before to have her sign our divorce papers.........But you wouldn't have known that, would you? You never asked. You just accused and pushed me away. It was always my fault. You were always Melanie Jayne's "guardian".........

Nicole kept quiet. She was shocked and out of words. Victor really was in the middle of sorting his shit out after all.

Victor: (continues crying) I can't......I can't lose her........She's all I ever had, Nicole. I never wanted anything else.......

Nicole just stood there watching Victor crying his heart out. If he had said all that long ago, things would have been different. She just wanted me to stop hurting because that was all there ever was between Victor and I. Pain. Nicole's phone rang and it was an emergency call she had to pick up.