Vol 4/ Chapter 6 - The Bold Cyra

"Walking is so tiring! We can't fly in the human world because we need to keep a low profile. And I haven't even tried using my wings after they just healed!"

Since the rented room was about half a district away, we could only slowly walk there. But after just over half an hour, Cyra said she couldn't take it anymore. After all, when she was in Edenmere, she flew almost everywhere. So it was pretty good that her legs hadn't atrophied.

"So much trouble. You're always bragging about being a man, but after just a little walking you're exhausted? And you didn't complain at all when you ran off shopping just earlier. In that regard, you're just like a woman!"

Nicola mercilessly mocked her. Looking around, her eyes suddenly lit up as she stared at a storefront ahead.

""Samfield's Entertainment! It's been so long since I played! I'll go in and take a look, you guys go back first!"

"Hey! What's wrong with you, running off to the game hall right after getting back..."

I was speechless, unable to stop her. But Nicola completely ignored my shouts. She just strode into the store, leaving only a sentence behind.

"Don't worry, I won't gamble again!"

"Game hall? Gambling? I want to go see too..."

Cyra's eyes lit up when she heard it. She also tried to slip inside.

"You come back here! That's no place for you! I don't have money to add credits for you!"

I grabbed her collar and dragged her back. These two were too much trouble.

But since we were already here, that meant we were close to our destination.

I led Cyra around a few more turns, then went straight ahead a bit more. Soon I saw the familiar bookstore downstairs from our rented room.

"Oh! The young miss upstairs is finally back! Long time no see!"

As soon as we passed the entrance, the landlord and bookstore owner rushed out to greet us.

"And you brought a guest? She looks new."

"Ah... I haven't been able to come back for months because of work..."

I casually explained a bit. But from his attitude, it seemed like he hadn't mentioned anything about the room. So I quickly asked:

"About the rent..."

After all, we had agreed on monthly payments. Logically, it should have been long past due by now.

"Oh, you didn't know? A few days ago a boy came by and paid it all off for you. He even paid three more months in advance!"

"Three months?"

I was shocked. Three months was at least over 2000 silvers! That was a huge amount. The boy he mentioned must be Adrian.

I had thought Adrian might help us keep the room, but I didn't expect he would pay so far in advance.

I had to find a way to pay him back! Even if Nicola and I combined all our savings, it was far from enough.

Why did Adrian have to spend so much? Now it would be hard for me to handle this. I'd have to find a chance to make things clear with him!

"What kinds of books do you sell here?"

Cyra was naturally uninterested in our talk about rent. Curiously poking her head in, she suddenly asked.

"This young miss wants to see the books?"

The landlord immediately perked up at that. He quickly changed the topic and started promoting all kinds of novels to her.

"I have everything here! Including adventure, romance, knight, and more. Just the other day I got a new batch of romance novels from the Ilandra Dominion down south. I guarantee you'll like them..."

"Oh, is that so? Seems there's quite a variety. Are there other categories too?"

Cyra nodded, looking around as she entered the bookstore.

"Look your fill, but don't wander around. Our room is upstairs, come up soon."

Since we were already downstairs, I was too lazy to watch her more. After give Cyra some remindings, I went alone into the back of the shop and climbed the stairs to our room.

"I'm back..."

Opening the door and seeing the familiar furnishings, I couldn't help but sigh.

Thinking back to when I left home last time, it was the morning after Nicola got drunk by the lake. I went through a lot of hardships in this time, even nearly dying out there. I was quite fortunate.

Entering, I first looked around the whole room. The bare bed still looked the same as when I had left, with the sheets taken off to be washed so there was nothing on it!

"Have to do housework again?"

I suddenly felt a little discouraged. Thinking I might have to stay home another day or two before setting out, I'd have to tidy up the place.

By comparison, Edenmere was better! At least in Tivi Palace, the rooms given to us were cleaned every day by attendants, just like staying in a hotel. Simply too comfortable.

The transition from frugality to luxury is easy, but the shift from luxury to frugality is difficult...

After I finished cleaning the whole place top to bottom, I suddenly heard urgent knocking at the door. It turned out to be Cyra, humming a song as she happily ran up.

"Haha, look what I found! Who said there's no erot*ca in this world?"

The moment she came in, she excitedly showed me the indecent books she had dug up from downstairs.

"Where did you get the money?"

I quickly closed the door. She was too much, waving those things around and yelling without caring if others heard.

"Of course the old man downstairs let me borrow them for free! I didn't think life here was so rich..."

Cyra dove onto the bed I had just made, engrossed in the book's contents without even turning her head.

"He just let you freely borrow and read those books?"

I took a closer look. For the landlord to lend her those kinds of books for free, just seemed a bit inappropriate. After all, she was a girl right now.

"What's wrong with borrowing them? I'm a pure man, why can't I read these books?"

Cyra said matter-of-factly, still ceaselessly critiquing the book's characters. I didn't know what to tell her. Actually, in looks alone, she was far above the characters in the book. After all, she had Michelle's face...

"Well, keep reading them yourself. I'm going to the nearby market to buy some groceries. Don't go out again later, stay home and house-sit."

The sky was already nearing dusk. Although we had eaten a little in the royal city earlier, I was starting to feel hungry again now that the sun was setting.