Vol 4/ Chapter 35: Fire

"Of course!"

Nicola nodded and asked Cyra, "Have you got everything ready? If there's no problem, let's go to the city gate now to check out the situation!"

"I didn't have anything to prepare since I just crashed last night. But are you sure we can enter the city now?"

Cyra shrugged and headed towards the carriage.

"If we're just going to try, there's no harm in it..."

According to our plan, if the gates of Makalan were still closed the next morning, we would have to bypass the city and take a longer detour.

Although the guards at the gates said this situation would continue until noon, the specifics still depended on how things developed overnight. And after what happened late last night, the outcome was really hard to predict.

Could there really have been a big fire?

Recalling the situation when Kurnel and I left, only the inn had started burning, although the flames spread quickly. But it didn't seem to have affected other buildings on the street. And there were already quite a lot of onlookers gathered, so there probably wouldn't be too much more damage...right?

Okay, honestly I wasn't sure either. I could only guess. Of course I definitely hoped there wouldn't be a big fire as the prophecy said, but after what happened with Blanche, if the predetermined future couldn't be changed, then the predicted fire would be unavoidable too, unless the prophet who made the prediction wasn't skillful enough and was wrong.

But the odds of that were way too low. And the facts proved that was indeed the case...

When the carriage returned to Makalan's west gate, we found that a large number of people had already started queuing up to enter the city.

"I heard that the big fire in the city last night happened as predicted. Some people saw it as the result of an angel fighting a monster, which caused nearly half of the buildings in the city to burn down. But fortunately, thanks to the early prophecy, everyone was extra vigilant, so casualties weren't too serious."

Carl came back after gathering information and suddenly looked deeply at us.

"So the prophecy came true. The lockdown has been lifted early and we can pass through!"

Could he have figured out our identities? I suddenly had this thought, but it probably wouldn't matter much even if exposed. Angels were quite rare, but unlike monsters, at least they didn't have negative reputations.

Come to think of it, the three of us had been chatting freely with little restraint throughout the journey. Although the carriage was quite soundproof, it was inevitable that some words could be leaked.

"So there really was a fire..."

Hearing Carl's words, Nicola raised her eyebrows at me. As for Cyra, she just looked confused, especially when she heard the word "angel", and glanced peculiarly at Nicola and me.

"Come clean, was it related to you two? Which one of you ran into the monster?"

"Well, it's more complicated than that..."

Facing her whispered questioning, I could only force a wry smile and briefly recounted what happened last night. Although Nicola was taken away by Blanche and didn't know what happened afterwards, I had already told her on the flight back.

"Is fate really so mystical?"

After hearing about Blanche's ending, Cyra sighed deeply even though she'd never met Blanche.