Vol 4/ Chapter 94: A New Take on Sour Fish Stew

"Regular angels shouldn't end up in situations like that, right?" Adrian asked with his mouth wide open, after listening to my explanation. It took him a while before he could get those words out.

"Probably not..." I shook my head and paused for a moment before continuing. "But Nicola has an affinity for wind elements, and she's quite skilled at controlling them too."

I didn't mention that Nicola was recognized as the reincarnation of Liana, the Wind Angel. In Edenmere, this was considered an extremely high-level secret, mainly to prevent unnecessary unrest and to keep people calm. Most angels only knew her as the inheritor of the ancestors. Revealing this to outsiders would be unwise, and I could face consequence for it!

"So you two new angels really are quite peculiar, having affinities for wind and water. I've never seen anything like it..." Adrian fell silent for a long while, seeming deep in thought.

"Elemental affinity is determined by the elemental composition of one's body. If it's not the light element, then your situation...no, wait, that doesn't make sense either! Aside from the light element, an angel's body can't possibly contain other elements!"

"What's wrong? Do you think there's something off about it?" I asked, puzzled. I paused my cooking to pose the question.

It wasn't until I met Judith that I finally understood the origins of elemental affinity, thanks to her explanations.

The human body is composed of various elements in random proportions. When a particular element is present in a higher proportion, it manifests as an affinity for that element. The higher the proportion, the stronger the elemental affinity.

That's why angels with an affinity for water elements like me are extremely rare, because angelic bodies don't contain any water elements. This was also the main reason why Elara suspected the issue lay with my soul - a soul's attributes can influence elemental affinity to some degree.

"No, it's just..." Adrian looked at me, hesitating to continue. But under my expectant gaze, after wavering for a while, he eventually decided to voice his thoughts.

"I have a rather bold guess, but don't take it too seriously! What if...in that state when your wings turned blue, would you still be under the control of the light god Beluto?"

"Uh..." His question left me stunned. I had never considered this possibility before, and being confronted with it so suddenly left me feeling dazed.

"It's just a random guess, you don't have to read too much into it. I know that in that state, you had no consciousness at all. This is really putting you on the spot..." Seeing my reaction, Adrian quickly waved his hands in a placating manner, afraid that I might overthink it.

After all, he was well aware that my wings had only turned blue after I had nearly drowned, and that I had been completely unconscious throughout the entire process. From my perspective, it was virtually no different from being controlled by the light god.

So using that state to confront the light god was frankly unreliable. Who knew if my blue-winged mode wasn't just another dangerous form of being controlled?

Moreover, even if I were to take the risk, disregarding all the potential side effects and underlying issues, there was no way to replicate the process of making my wings blue when facing the threat of Beluto. It's not like I could just drown myself in this lake first before challenging the light god!

Or should I carry a bucket of water with me and publicly perform a drowning act in front of Beluto?

"Beluto, today this angel dares to challenge you, so prepare to die! Glug glug glug glug—"