Vol 4/Chapter 9: Retest 1

"I'll tell you about that later. Since you want to retest, I can help ask if the examiner Wozwal Hus will allow you to take the test again!"

Hayden gave me a mysterious smile and took my identity card. Without another word, he went straight to the Strength Assessment Department.

"Huh? Can it really be done? Aren't the examiners usually very busy?"

At that moment, there was still a long queue at the Comprehensive Strength Testing entrance, just like last time. However, Hayden did not join the queue. He went straight to the staff at the entrance, whispered to them briefly, waved at me, then pushed open the door of the testing room and went inside.

"So he has connections in the Adventurers' Association?"

Seeing this, I finally understood. Although Hayden was only fourth-tier, he had quite a bit of influence. It seems my retest has a good chance now.

Sure enough, he came out of the testing room shortly after. He returned my identity card and said, "You're in luck today. My dad is on duty, so he has agreed to let you retest. Go line up quickly!"

"Wozwal Hus is your father?"

I was stunned for a while after taking back my card. I had guessed he might be an employee of the Adventurers' Association.

"Of course. My full name is Hayden Bulwar. My father is Wozwal Hus Bulwar. Actually, the examiners announce their names before each test, but you probably forgot already."

Hayden explained with a smile.

"It's also because of this connection that I'm familiar with the staff at the entrance. I've informed them just now to make a special exception to let you in later."

"Thank you so much!"

I said my thanks as I watched Hayden leave for the quest counter. I hurried over to join the queue.

"You're Feliciana the angel, right?"

After a long wait, it was finally my turn. The staff at the entrance checked my identity card and looked up at me with a smile.

"The examiner has approved your retest request. Make full use of this chance!"

"Thank you..."

I didn't expect the staff to encourage me too. Suddenly I felt tremendous pressure. It seems I have to give it my all this time!

"I knew your name sounded familiar, especially since you're an angel! Although I have to test hundreds of adventurers daily, I still remember a bit."

As soon as I entered, I saw the familiar middle-aged uncle from last time standing before me. He stared at me for a long time before exclaiming.

"Hayden told me all about your adventures with him in the Dark Continent after he came home from the war. Turns out the two angels he kept mentioning were tested by me and passed."

"Uh..."

What a coincidence.

"Oh well! An angel who heavily injured the Arch Demon and indirectly saved my son, but only got a third-tier rating - that really doesn't make sense. Even if you lose some score, I'll take the blame! My boy mentions this to me every day anyway..."

Wozwal Hus turned and took a longsword from the weapon rack.

"Come! Let me see your true strength! This is the only chance to make up. Since it's a retest, your actual ability should be higher than the third-tier I gave last time. So other than the five-minute time limit, there's a new rule - you cannot leave this arena during the fight, or you fail! Understand?"

"Understood!"

I nodded firmly without hesitation. I went forward and also picked a longsword. Like during the previous test, I unfurled six wings and stood in the middle of the arena.

This chance was hard-earned. If I still didn't perform well enough, I could only wait three months for the next try.

"Sorry in advance!"

Seeing him in position, I made the first move - Angel Swordplay - thrusting at his throat.

"Huh? You seem to have some sword skills compared to last time? That's the Angel Legion's swordplay, isn't it?"

Wozwal Hus immediately recognized my move. He easily dodged with a quick retreat.

There's more! Without a word, I closed in, my sword tip pointing at his right armpit where he held his sword.

This was also part of Angel Swordplay for catching the opponent's weakness. Usually very difficult to defend against.

But I knew that as a sixth-tier swordsman, Wozwal Hus' sword mastery far surpassed mine, perhaps even Aetina's. So I didn't expect it to be effective.

"Tsk! Nice use of that move, perfect timing!"

As expected, Wozwal Hus nodded approvingly, intending to dodge to the side. But suddenly he saw a flash of light and lost his vision briefly, forcing him to hastily retreat.

Too late! Seizing the moment he was hit by Dazzling Light, my longsword cut into his arm. Although he reacted swiftly, my thrust wasn't very deep. But at least I gained the advantage.

My subsequent attacks were not as smooth. Although his vision hadn't recovered, he managed to evade my longsword each time.

As expected of a sixth-tier swordsman. Even without sight, he could predict my attacks from his senses, getting caught off guard only because he was unprepared initially.

"That was magic just now? Moreover, magic without incantations!"

Soon, Wozwal Hus' vision gradually returned. But he realized his movements had slowed drastically.

While he was blinded earlier, I had secretly cast Slow Spell. Although he could judge my sword strokes by hearing and touch, this silent, invisible spell was impossible to defend against without sight or sensing light elements.

"Remember I couldn't use magic last time? This time is different!"

I admitted openly, pressing the attack while he was slowed. With his speed reduced so much by Slow Spell, I could see all his counterattacks coming. Easily reacting in time, while he could only follow my sword strokes consciously but not physically. In seconds, my longsword wounded him several more times.