Vol 4/ Chapter 99: The Artificial Idiot

"Wait!"

I hurriedly stopped him, then checked the human's body. Finding he was severely light-polluted and beyond saving, I signaled for Adrian to proceed.

"Looks so strange, is it for blocking light to ensure good sleep? But why this design?"

Staring at the "headset" for a while, we couldn't find any special clues. The material was similar to the previous black card, and it also contained both light and dark elements in the same way.

"Why don't you try wearing it?"

Adrian spoke and put the headset on just like the person on the bed. Caught off guard, I couldn't stop him in time, my heart skipping a beat.

"Such an amazing thing, is this a game device?"

I saw him waving his hands around in the air, confirming my guess - it really was a VR headset! But it didn't cause the whole body disconnect from reality seen in some animations when worn.

"You try it too, seems like a magic toy. But doesn't look to have any elemental connection cables eh?"

The so-called elemental connection cables are similar to electrical wires, mainly designed to transmit specific types of elements. At "SummersField Entertainment", those gambling devices were all elemental-powered. Since they could interconnect between different machines, elemental cables were indispensable.

Could this headset be using a wireless network? WiFi?

This thought crossed my mind, though I had no phone to verify it. But the light element contained in the headset made me think of another possibility - the light element can similarly achieve long-distance disembodied spiritual communication. Maybe it worked on that principle?

Anyway, might as well see the actual effect first. I thought about it and followed Adrian in wearing the headset.

I instantly found myself in a spacious plaza, with a huge information prompt in front describing the device's purpose in the common continental text.

It was a virtual remote query device that could access this central city's virtual municipal, news, entertainment and gaming facilities. But to actually use it normally required the user to present an ID card for verification login.

Of course I didn't have such a card, but immediately thought of the black card Adrian had picked up before. I had a flash of insight and tried "swiping" it on the headset according to the operation flow. This worked by chance, but I just received a prompt to patiently wait for verification, with no response after a long time.

What, there's "network" lag too?

"Help!"

Seeing this situation, I immediately shouted out loud towards the air.

This was a voice operation method written in the information instructions, to get additional help when encountering difficulties using it - the equivalent of customer service on Earth.

"Sorry, since we cannot contact the main body zero and the central city data storage, your operation cannot continue!"

As the words fell, a girl with an extremely well-behaved appearance suddenly appeared in front of me, smiling as she spoke.

"Whoa! So advanced? High-tech? An AI?"

I gave her a long look up and down in amazement. But after some brief experimentation, I realized she didn't seem very intelligent at all. She could only give specific answers to specific questions - her "intelligence" was very limited, essentially equivalent to an "artificial idiot".