Vol 4/ Chapter 37 - Converging

"Can we really escape the death omen by staying here?"

I asked helplessly in the inn at Makalan City.

Due to Quintina's earlier prophecy, we had decided to stay in the city and not continue traveling until the three day later, after which we would decide our next steps.

Although a big fire had just happened in the city, it had only affected one part after all. We later found another inn opening on the other end of the city and checked in.

"I can't be sure, but since the fortune teller said the future scene she 'saw' seemed to happen outdoors, wouldn't we be able to perfectly avoid it if we stay indoors in the city?"

Cyra thought about it and replied. Her logic was quite simple - just do the opposite of how the prophecy would unfold.

"But might some special circumstances come up midway, inducing or forcing us to leave the city?"

Nicola asked with her head lowered. Although in her eyes, I might not escape the prophesied death so easily, she definitely could not just watch me die without doing anything, so she had no choice but to adopt Cyra's suggestion.

"It's a pity the information we got is so little. If we could find out more about the future, maybe we could make better preparations."

Since it was a matter of life and death, we had asked Quintina about every detail she knew, but the help we got from it was scarce.

"After all, she's just a disabled person..."

I sighed. It couldn't be helped since the fortuneteller's predictive abilities were so limited. Pestering her further would be meaningless no matter how hard we tried.

Currently, the information we knew was as follows:

First, the person Quintina saw was indeed Nicola. Although she couldn't see with her eyes and didn't know what Nicola looked like in reality, she had also said that in situations like this where she wasn't actively using magic to predict, she could generally only "see" things happening to the target of the prediction. Moreover, the described appearance was extremely similar to Nicola's in terms of clothing, hairstyle and hair color, so it could be determined that the person was Nicola.

Second, the location Nicola was in the prophecy seemed to be outdoors, but the exact spot was unknown. All that was known was the ground appeared to have many rocks and weeds, which was a very common terrain.

Third, looking at the time, since Quintina described the scene as quite dark, and could even vaguely see flames in the background, it could be deduced that the event happened at night.

Fourth, although the Nicola in the prophecy was calling my name and certainly mentioned I had died, she didn't "see" any other people or related corpses, not even any leftover clothes.

Fifth, one strange thing was that Quintina didn't mention Nicola's angel identity at all, which was very suspicious! Because from the subsequent conversation, we could see that she had always thought Nicola was just a wind mage. So the truth could only be one - the Nicola she saw did not have wings unfurled behind her!

This was quite thought-provoking...

"What circumstances could lead to my death while Nicola still hasn't unfurled her wings?"

I bowed my head in thought, vaguely feeling this might be a breakthrough.

"That's right, if it was battling magical creatures or robots I would definitely have unfurled my wings, this clearly doesn't make sense..."