Chapter 97: Nightmarish Monsters

CW: Child Abuse, Gore/Horror

"Are you kidding? What the hell is this, Usopp?" Sanji (Nami) irritatedly spoke, looking up at the cardboard cut out of Sanji on Nami's forehead.

"I think they're totally super, bro!" Chopper (Franky) happy spoke up with his cardboard cut out of Franky on Chopper's hat.

"I don't care anymore." Nami (Franky) spoke in defeat, not looking up at the Nami cut out on Franky's head.

"Thanks, Usopp! Great Idea!" Chopper (Sanji) had sparkles on his face as he looked up at the Chopper cut out on Sanji's forehead.

Sanji (Nami) pointed up at his cut out. "This thing detracts from Nami's beauty."

"Aw, quit whining!" Usopp irritatedly glared at Sanji (Nami). "Without some sort of system like this, we're never gonna remember who's who."

(Y/N) spoke as she pointed at each of her crew mates. "Nami, Chopper, Franky, Sanji." She turned to Usopp, shrugging. "It's not that hard with or without the cut outs."

"Not all of us what that weird sensing thing like you!" Usopp irritatedly replied.

"Eh? You think I'm using Haki to tell?" (Y/N) hung her head. "Because you'll be right." Usopp chuckled at her defeat.

"So Brownbeard, huh?" Luffy spoke to the tied up centaur making Usopp and (Y/N) 'hm' their captain and turn to him.

"That's right. I'm sure you've heard that name. It's what I used to go by." Brownbeard spoke back to the captain.

"Nope, sorry." Luffy calmly spoke. (Y/N) flew up on the large pipe in front of Blackbeard, sitting next to Luffy as she added in. "Yeah, ex-bounty hunter and all, I've never heard of the name."

"Are you kidding, you fools?!" Brownbeard questioned before turning to the children playing with his crocodile tail. "Hey, get off of me before I bite you!"

"Something's up." Zoro spoke up making Luffy and (Y/N) look over at him. "You wouldn't say a word before, and now you won't stop yapping. Why're you so eager to run your mouth now?"

Blackbeard chuckled. "I'm in a good mood because you guys are in for it. Law knows that I'm with you now, and he's gonna come for me. I despise all the worthless pirates of your damn generation. Law's the exception."

"Hold on. What do you mean 'our generation'?" Luffy questioned.

"Don't you know anything? Little fool." Blackbeard sassed before explaining. "I mean the 12 rookies with bounties over 100 million who arrived at Sabaody two years ago. You lot, and Blackbeard. People call you punks 'The Worst Generation.' Troublemakers who were born at the change of the era. Reckless fools whose actions will determine the future of this world. After Whitebeard died, you all came to the New World and began raising hell. Anytime something big happened, a member of your generation was usually right in the thick of things. Blackbeard, Kid, Law, Drake and Hawkins. Basil Hawkins was the one who shattered my crew, leaving us defeated and broken. It was because of him that my pirate career ended. The coward took my legs from me! My crew was annihilated. I was fleeing for my life when at last, I arrived here, on the island known as Punk Hazard. Do you fools even know what the place is?" Everyone 'huh'ed his words making Brownbeard sigh in defeat. "This island is not what it was. It used to be a paradise teeming with life. Home to creatures of all shapes and colors."

"Wow, for real?" Luffy questioned.

"It's nothing like that anymore." Zoro sassed, glaring up at Brownbeard.

(Y/N) placed her hand on her chin in thought. "I can't imagine such an icy-hot hell being a beautiful wonderland like you speak of."

"Oh, but it was." Brownbeard softly replied and continued his explanation. "This island housed the laboratory of a Government scientist known as Dr. Vegapunk. He and his team were stationed here with the task of developing new chemicals and weapons. Vegapunk needed subjected on which to test his inventions. So, instead of going to prison, criminals were sent here, where they were experimented on. Four years ago, Vegapunk tested one of his chemical weapons, and it went very, very wrong." (Y/N) heard a few of her crew mates gasp in shock, but she was concentrated on the ex-pirate before her. 'Vegapunk, huh? Franky ended up at another one of Vegapunk's laboratories, but what strikes me the most is these human experiments. Aside from the chemical weapons, was the Government attempting to create more human weapons like Kuma? This just grows more questions.' Brownbeard continued. "Two of the three labs exploded, destroying almost entirely. We are standing in the remains of one right now."