Chapter 5: Forest

Author's Question: Do you like the pictures? Are they helpful or distracting?

—————————-

Mochou wasn't a stranger to forests. When he worked in the special forces he often had to trek for days through hostile forests, jungles, caverns, and desserts. Compared to those places the forest by his new home was safe.

The biggest problem he had as he walked through the area was his own body.

"Hah... ugh... Damn this weak body! What did this brat do to get so out of shape? Is he an invalid or something? Was he confined to that hut and never allowed to leave bed before now?" He complained as he struggled to catch his breath after less than an hour trekking through the forest.

It was a struggle but he had managed to gain a lot. The forest was safe but also lush with wild herbs, vegetables, fruit, and berries. As he walked he filled the basket on his back half full of dry branches and chunks of wood he could use in a fire. In his hands he held another bamboo basket he had filled with edible plants.

Despite his obvious gains Mochou didn't want to return yet. He wanted to catch a rabbit or wild bird.

"If I'm going to build muscle I need protein. I need meat." He told himself as he forced himself to venture further in the forest.

He knew it wouldn't be possible to capture one by hand with his poor health but he had gathered several stone he could throw and stun a small animal with. He also used the rope he brought to set a trap closer to his home in hopes something would be caught by the time he returned back towards the house.

"There!" He exclaimed hopeful the moment he spotted a rabbit huddled beneath a bush. He was still too far, but any closer and the rabbit would run off. With no other choice he threw a stone.

Plop*

The throw was more like a pathetic toss and landed barely three meters away.

"F***! How can anyone be this weak?!" He cursed. The sudden commotion scared the rabbit away leaving Mochou in an even darker mood.

"Breath..."

Mochou took a moment to calm himself. Once he did he took a look around the area again. Not long after, he found a few birds. They were small and brown. From the looks of it Mochou suspected they were quails. The little group of birds were pecking at the ground.

"One... two... five... seven. Seven little birds. All I need is to get one."

Mochou tried to psych himself up. Knowing his strength was now pitifully weak he had to be certain before he made a move. He considered setting a trap to lure them but then decided against it.

"I need to head back after this, my head is spinning and It's getting harder to carry what I have."

Deciding this would be his last attempt at getting food Mochou didn't act rashly. He undid the cloth wrap around his waist to make a sling. He'd used one before in the past.