Chapter 23: Wedding Preparations (Pt.1)

They quickly returned to Yichen's parents house. Once there they told Yichen's mother that they would be having the wedding the next day after all.

"It's too soon." She exclaimed.

"I won't wait two months. Mochou needs me now. He's hurt and I can't imagine not being able to see him everyday." Yichen said in his defence.

"You impatient fool. Waiting a mere two months is nothing. I understand that you are worried because of his injuries but we must do this wedding properly!" His mother lectured.

"Mother-in-law, it may be difficult but I believe we can prepare a fine meal by tomorrow. We also still have second brother-in-law Yi Hao's and Ke Xin's wedding outfits for them to wear and most of the decorations." Meng Yao suggested.

"No way! They aren't wearing our wedding outfits." Ke Xin rebuked.

"They are only clothes. Allowing Yichen and Mochou to wear them is not a difficult task." Yi Peng said.

"No. I refuse." Ke Xin was adamant about not allowing them to wear her wedding outfits. Yichen glared at her. He knew she wasn't a fan of Mochou but that didn't excuse her attitude. He was about to say something but Meng Yao spoke first.

"My own wedding outfit was given to my sister when she married and I cannot retrieve it, but Yichen can wear my husband Yi Ming's outfit." Meng Yao suggested while effectively brushing Ke Xin aside.

"I don't care about my clothes. But I want Mochou to have something nice. If I go into town will I be able to buy an outfit for him?" Yichen asked.

"If you go to the clothing shop they sometimes have premade wedding outfits, but they can be very expensive."

"Price won't be a problem. I have my savings." Yichen proudly announced.

"Yichen don't spend too much on the wedding outfit. Save your money. Now that you will be married you must provide Mochou with a wonderful home. To do so costs money." Yi Peng said.

"You'll buy something but not the most expensive one, something reasonable but still beautiful. We will also prepare your wedding bed with new red bedding and dried fruit and nuts. When you are in town you will also need to purchase the cups for the wedding toast, bedding, and candles. They will have everything you need at the shop owned by the Feng family." Yichen's mother explained.

"Mother-in-law, there is no need to purchase the cups. Remember we have been buying such items slowly in preparation for the wedding two months from now." Meng Yao pointed out.

"You are correct. I forgot we had already begun preparations. Let us check the wedding chest and take note of what is missing."

"What should I do in the meantime? Should I head to town for the wedding outfit first?" Yichen asked?

"You will go and begin cleaning your room. Take that quail out and find somewhere else to keep it. It cannot be in there for the wedding night." His mother said.

"About that mom, Mochou's place will be the our home and we will do the wedding night and dinner there." Yichen revealed.

"At that dilapidated hut? No, you will live here at home with us." Xin Mi stated.

"Mom, all my brothers live here, plus the upcoming baby. Things will get crowded and Mochou doesn't suit living here in the centre of the village. Plus having the wedding dinner at his home will lessen the number of people who come to the banquet." Yichen explained.

"Nonsense!"

"Wife, I agree with Yichen. The hut is Mochou's dowry and Yichen can work to repair it. It might be good for the two of them to live separately."