Chapter 11: Spark

"Mmm?"

Mochou awoke to the smell of ginseng. He looked around and soon found Yichen standing over the stove making something in a pot.

"What is he doing?" Mochou wondered as he watched Yichen cook. As he did Mochou felt his chest tighten. He tried to think of the last time someone made anything for him.

Yichen turned around to find Mochou staring at him. His eyes slightly red. Probably because of the fever.

"Mochou, you're awake. How do you feel? Dizzy? Nauseous?" Yichen asked as he quietly brought over a teacup full ginseng tea.

Mochou sat up from the cot a little confused but also touched. He looked at the teacup then at Yichen. He tried to speak but struggled to say anything.

"What's wrong? Are you feeling sick?" Yichen asked with concern.

"He's so worried? Why? We only met yesterday. Why is he so nice to me?" Mochou asked himself as he silently stared at Yichen.

His silence only worried Yichen more. Yichen reached his hand out to check Mochou's forehead.

"You're running a fever. Drink some of this it will help reduce it." Yichen said as he tried to hand Mochou the teacup. When he looked up at Mochou he saw tears flowing down his cheeks.

"Mochou, tell me where it's uncomfortable." Yichen asked in a panic.

"I'm fine. Just a little confused. What are you doing here?" Mochou asked as he took the cup of tea. His hands slightly shaking.

"Did he bandage them?" Mochou wondered when he saw his hands wrapped in clean white linen bandages and the smell of medicine.

"You never showed. I was worried something happened so I came by and found you asleep and feverish from being in the sun too long." Yichen explained.

His answer only confused Mochou more. He couldn't understand why Yichen would worry about him.

"Thanks." Mochou whispered as he slowly sipped the tea.

"You should rest. I'll head into the forest and check on the traps for you." Yichen offered.

"No! I'll get them myself." Mochou suddenly said.

"You need rest." Yichen reiterated.

"They're my traps. I'll deal with them myself." Mochou stubbornly asserted. His tone more fierce than he intended.

"Okay, but can I come with you?" Yichen asked seemingly unaffected by Mochou's tone.

Feeling regretful about the way he snapped at Yichen Mochou agreed to him following along.

"If you want..." Mochou said with a light blush as he continued to sip the warm tea. While he did, Yichen decided to take the cloth and wet it again for Mochou to use. The way he moved through the hut Mochou couldn't help but watch him closely.

Yichen noticed Mochou observing him closely. Like a wary animal observing a predator.

"I don't get it. Why is he being so nice? He's clearly an attractive, rich, kind young man whose thoughtful and helpful. He should be busy building a successful life. Not wasting his time here with me?" Mochou mused.

Mochou tried to get up after he finished drinking the tea. When he did he felt dizzy again. Seeing him struggle Yichen wanted to stop him. However he knew if he did try to stop him Mochou might get upset.

"Mochou seems reluctant, no resistant to being helped. Even though he needs it." Yichen thought as he carefully watched Mochou get up.

Once standing Mochou looked around the room then brought the teacup over to the pot of water in the kitchen. When he looked inside he expected it to be half empty like it was in the morning.