Chapter 90: Spreading the Good News

Mochou stood at the threshold of the gate and unable to move. A feeling of dread and fear filling his heart. It was hard to breath. He reached his hand out towards Yichen but he had already crossed the threshold.

Yichen stood on the other side of the gate alone. When he noticed Mochou wasn't with him he turned around thinking he was rushing too much and Mochou couldn't keep up with him. Instead he saw a pale anxious Mochou.

He quickly stepped back within the yard and hugged him tight. He couldn't understand what had happened. Only seconds ago Mochou was smiling and now he looked like he had seen a ghost.

"What's wrong? Are you feeling sick?"

"I don't know. I'm scared." Mochou whispered. His hands grasping Yichen's robe tight.

At first Yichen couldn't understand why Mochou would feel scared. But then it dawned on him that the reason he rushed home was because Mochou had locked himself away in the house. He hadn't thought about why because the pregnancy had taken precedents but now it seemed he made a mistake for not asking about it sooner.

"Don't be afraid. Nothing bad will happen. I'm here." Yichen comforted.

"But..."

"No buts. I'll protect you." He said as he picked Mochou up in his steady embrace and carried him through the threshold. At first Mochou was tense as he looked around the area vigilantly. Yichen detected his anxiety and held him tighter.

"I'm here. I've got you." He continued to whisper. The further they walked without incident the more relaxed Mochou felt. By the time they reached the street his parent's place was on Mochou felt fine and was even chatting along comfortably about going to the river to catch a few fish.

...

Standing in front of the gate Mochou prepared to be let down but Yichen held him close. Any other day Mochou might have pushed harder to be let down but today he didn't care. He was happy to be coddled. With arms full Yichen raised his leg ready to kick the gate.

"Is everything okay?" Meng Yao  asked.

Yichen lowered his leg when he heard her voice. Mochou also peeked passed Yichen's broad shoulders to look at Meng Yao. She had changed a lot since the last time he saw her. Her stomach was much bigger. And she no longer had her elegant walk but now moved with a bit of a waddle. Her hand was comfortably rested on her belly and in the other was a basket of what looked like embroidery items.

"Nothing is wrong." Yichen assured her but she seemed unconvinced looking at Mochou seated in his arms. Realizing why she was worried Mochou asked to be let down. Yichen didn't want to but since Mochou insisted he gently lowered him to the ground.

"I'm fine. Yichen was just being his usual self. We didn't mean to worry you." Mochou said. 

"Are you certain? I wouldn't want you to push yourself on my account." She said with kind eyes.

"Not at all I really am fine." Mochou insisted.

"Let's not stand here any longer and hurry inside." Yichen said when it seemed the conversation would only spin in circles.

Now with his arms free Yichen didn't kick or even knock. He simply opened the gate wide. They invited Meng Yao to walk in first then entered behind her. Once inside they quickly found Yichen's mother sitting on in the shade doing some embroidery work. When she saw Mochou walk in she smiled bright.

"Yichen, Mochou I'm so glad to see you both okay." She exclaimed happily. Her joy only abating when she saw Meng Yao standing next to them.

"Meng Yao, you're back. Why don't you head over to your room and rest for a little while." She said nervously.