Chapter 34: Shopping (pt.1)

Things were going well. Mochou and Yichen headed over to the next stop. They planned to stop by the craftsmen's district. The area had shops selling pots, pans, jars, knives, and wood. It basically had everything they would need for Mochou to hunt or cook. Yichen also planned to buy some other things to repair their little hut.

"Mochou, let's go in here. They have some different sizes and types of pots and pans. You can chose the ones you want." Yichen excitedly said.

Mochou had no problem with the situation. He followed along quietly as they entered the shop. Once inside he saw several pots and pans hanging from the wall and placed on the tables. Like Yichen said there were several sizes and types.

Mochou was attracted to one pot that was shaped like a large wok.

"That would be perfect!" Mochou thought.

He walked over and reached out to grab the pot.

"Don't touch that!" The shopkeeper shouted.

Mochou pulled his hand back and looked over at Yichen unsure of what to do. Yichen was upset with the situation and stepped forward with clenched fists.

"Don't shout at my spouse!" Yichen shouted back at him.

The man wasn't intimidated. He stood tall and stared at Yichen with an unwavering gaze.

"What's going on?" Mochou wondered.

"We don't allow GERs inside this shop. He needs to get out." The man said.

"Laws forbidding women and GERs inside shops haven't existed for over a decade. My spouse has every right to be in here. He is also the one who will be cooking with these pots and pans. He needs to choose which one he will use." Yichen retorted.

"My shop my rules. If you want to buy my wares he has to leave." The man said.

Yichen wasn't willing to back down. Mochou was his spouse and he refused to let him or anyone look down on him. However when he stepped forward Mochou grabbed his hand and pulled him back.

"Is this the only shop?" Mochou asked when Yichen looked at him.

"No, but..."

"Yichen, I don't mind. Let's go to the next shop." Mochou insisted. He didn't want to cause a big ruckus over a few pots. He also preferred not supporting a shopkeeper who refused service to GERs.

Yichen, could tell Mochou wasn't comfortable so he agreed and they left the shop.

Walking to the next shop Mochou felt compelled to ask about what happened.

"Yichen, would it be better if you went into the shops alone?" Mochou asked.

"No, what that man did is no longer acceptable. It's not against the law for GERs or woman to shop. Although most GERs and woman stick to the general stores and clothing shops." Yichen said with a remorseful tone.

"I can tell you what I want and..."

"You can come in and shop. If they have a problem I'll handle it." Yichen promised.

Mochou wanted to say he didn't want to be a bother but then decided against it. He actually quite liked the idea of Yichen being his hero for the day and he knew Yichen was sincere when he said he would handle any problems.

...
The next shop was smaller and their biggest pot wasn't shaped like a wok but the shopkeeper didn't seem adverse to Mochou's presence in the store.

"What do you think?" Yichen asked in a low whisper.

"Can we check another shop first?" Mochou asked. He really wanted a wok like he saw in the first shop.