Chapter 39: Awkward Conversations

As they walked Mochou finally found the time to ask Yichen about what happened. He knew about the fight because of the injuries. However a fight didn't explain why Yichen was gone for almost three hours.

"What took you so long?" Mochou asked.

"What?"

"What took you so long to return home? I can't imagine it taking so long to fight against that man." Mochou reiterated.

"Sorry about that. After the fight I headed home but I ran into my dad along the way. Seeing my injuries he wanted to know exactly what happened. It took longer than expected to answer all his questions." Yichen explained.

"What did your dad say about the fight?"

"He's had problems with that man, Qi Lan before. Apparently he can be very aggressive and his neighbours are often complaining about his son throwing things into their yard or destroying their property. He plans to go talk to him tomorrow."

"Talk to him... sigh* How will that help?" Mochou said feeling a little bitter that Yichen's father only planned to talk to him."

"I know it doesn't sound like much but my dad won't do more without first giving a verbal warning. If the problem continues the next step would be to have him leave the village."

"Even though there have been other villagers complaining about him?" Mochou questioned.

"Their complaints were considered minor. In the past apparently my dad has made him pay for repairs or forced Qi Lan to help the families he and his son caused trouble. This time however he attacked me without provocation and for my dad it's a serious offence.

"Does your dad know about what happened in town?" Mochou wondered. If he did they couldn't exactly say the man attacked Yichen without cause.

"I told him. I also told him about what that man did to you in the past. Unfortunately, because you never told my father about what he did and no other villagers said anything he can't exactly do anything about that now. On the plus side it makes what happened in town his fault not ours." Yichen said.

Mochou wasn't completely sold on the reasoning but the main point was that the man and his family would be kicked out of the village if he tried to hurt him or Yichen again. That was enough to make Mochou smile.

"Mochou, what do you want to do tomorrow?" Yichen asked. He hoped to change the subject away from his fight and towards something a little more interesting.

"There is so much I want to do but first we need to talk about money. I know I keep asking about it but I feel like I keep making you spend money, money we might not even have." Mochou said. He tried to explain it as best he could without crossing over the line considering the world he now lives in.

"Mochou, my love I want to tell you not to worry about money. I want to tell you that I have everything covered. Despite what I want to say I know you won't be satisfied with such words." Yichen said feeling a little troubled with by the question.

Mochou stared at Yichen waiting for him to continue. Yichen noticed Mochou's gaze and continued to speak.

"I'm going to tell you the truth. Right now money isn't an issue. We did spend a little too much today in town but only if we consider the fact that we're building a house soon. If we didn't have to worry about the house it wouldn't be a problem." Yichen explained.

"Considering the house, is money tight?" Mochou asked.

"A little. It's hard to say because we haven't started planning the house design or looking into the cost of material and labour but my savings should be enough to cover the cost of the house." Yichen explained.