Chapter 16: First Kiss

When Mochou returned to the hut he was tired and in a foul mood. He didn't catch any fish so he had no meat for dinner.

"There's still time before sunset, maybe I can go into the forest and check some traps?" Considering how well the traps worked the day before it seemed reasonable. But because the day was nearing the end Mochou was also concerned Yichen would return while he was gone.

"The nearest trap is about twenty minutes away on foot. If I hurry I should be able to return quickly."

Mochou decided to go after some thought. He put the basket full of laundry and the other one filled with bamboo shoots and plants in the little hut. When he went to open the door he heard the sound of someone approaching.

"Mochou! It's Yichen can I come in?" He called out.

Mochou grabbed the door handle and slowly opened it just a crack. Peeking outside he checked to see if maybe Yichen's father had returned with him.

"It's just me this time." Yichen said when he noticed Mochou peeking through the door.

Mochou let out a breath he had been subconsciously holding in. Then he opened the door to welcome Yichen.

"Welcome back. / I'm back." The two men said simultaneously.

Mochou blushed and Yichen smiled joyfully at the little mishap.

"How are you feeling?" Yichen asked. His hand naturally reached out to check Mochou's forehead but he stopped himself short.

"I can't it's inappropriate." Yichen told himself. It was fine when Mochou was collapsed and in obvious need of help, but alone and without a legitimate reason he couldn't allow himself to touch Mochou.

"If I let myself touch him without a good reason I won't be able to control myself and I might go too far." He warned himself.

Mochou saw Yichen drop his hand. He knew Yichen was probably planning to check his temperature and a part of himself was excited about it. So when Yichen lowered his hand Mochou couldn't stop himself from pouting a little.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there when you woke up. I wanted to stay but if I had I wouldn't have been able to make it in time to participate in the morning market." Yichen explained. He assumed Mochou was pouting because he was left alone with his father when he was sick.

"I understand. I appreciate you going to town for me." Mochou said but he still looked a little downcast in Yichen's eyes.

"While I was gone did my father say anything? He said he would take care of you and make sure your fever didn't worsen while I was away."

"He stayed to make sure I was okay and we did talk a little... Yichen are you sure you want to marry me? Marrying me will complicate your life. You'll probably be ostracized and ridiculed once people know about our marriage... Things would be a lot easier for you if you married someone else." Mochou uttered nervously. It was something he had been thinking about since Yichen's father talked to him.

"Did my father tell you that? He's wrong. Don't believe what he said. I don't want to marry the woman my mother has arranged for me. I want to marry you." Yichen stressed.

His words were sweet and direct. As he spoke Yichen looked Mochou straight in the eyes and his words never wavered. Despite speaking to him in a direct way Mochou was the most focused on one thing.

"What woman? Yichen are you already engaged?" Mochou asked is chest tightening and his breath strained.

Yichen saw Mochou's expression collapse with tears in his eyes.