Chapter 78: The New House

Alone again, Yichen went back inside the little hut to take care of Mochou. When he did he saw Mochou wiggling around in bed.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

Mochou looked at him with a deep red blush staining his cheeks. Worried he was red because of a fever Yichen hurried over and placed his hand on Mochou's forehead.

"He doesn't feel hot." He thought a little confused over why Mochou was red.

"Yichen, I need to use the toilet." Mochou whispered. His words solved the mystery. Yichen didn't mind and quietly dug Mochou out from under the quilt.

"I'll carry you over." Yichen said. He had no shame in helping Mochou even with the dirtiest or most embarrassing tasks.

On their way to the bathroom Mochou looked at the wall that separated the old yard with the new one. They had made a short gate between the two for easy access, but kept the walls high to block any smells that came from the animals.

"Yichen, I know we agreed to wait to move into the new house... but is it really not possible to move in sooner?" Mochou asked.

At first he was fine with the little hut, but as the weather grew hotter, having the kitchen only a couple meters away from the bed made it unbearably hot when they cooked.

Before he was injured he could go in and out as he used the stove to cool off but now he was stuck in bed and unable to escape the heat.

"If you want to move in sooner we can do that. Do you want to move today? The new bed and furniture has already been placed in the bedroom. The one we are currently using is meant for the spare room. All I would need to do is move our clothes over." Yichen said.

Like Mochou he didn't care that much about superstitions and certain customs. He did sometimes do them with the mentality that it couldn't hurt like with the wind chime he bought in town. But if Mochou wanted to move in he wouldn't place superstitions above Mochou's request.

"Will your mother be angry? I know she had a plan set up for when we finally moved in but the hut is really too hot when cooking." Mochou said. Despite Yichen agreeing to move he still felt bad for asking.

"Don't worry about my mom. I'll talk to her."
...

As promised Yichen went to the new house to get things ready for Mochou. The bed was larger and had new quilts and linen. The floors were a little dusty so he did some cleaning and he opened the shutters to let in a breeze. When he felt the room was ready he went to go get Mochou.

"The house turned out great." Mochou said as Yichen carried him through the kitchen to the bedroom.

They had splurged and made the floors all wood. There was also a lot of windows to let the light in. The best part was the little courtyard. Despite it not having the tree or tiny pond Mochou wanted.

The pond would be used to keep any fish they catch for a few days. Eliminating the need to go fishing every day. Despite its unfinished appearance having the light and cool breeze passing through the house made the house much more comfortable than the little dilapidated hut.

Mochou looked at his unfinished windows with some regret. Because of the size of the wood Mochou needed to make the lattice as tiles. Each tile was a twenty by twenty square. At this size he could make a single row of ventilation windows at the top of each wall. However the larger windows would need nine to twelve of these square.

He could roughly make four to six per day depending on the design to Yichen this was fast but Mochou knew he could go faster. After two months he managed to finish the ventilation windows but had only just begun starting the main windows.