Chapter 33: Going to Town together (pt.2)

Walking through town was better than imagined. Mochou knew he would be stared at. So when they stared and whispered as he and Yichen passed he ignored it. Aside from his body instinctively cowering and flinching at any loud noise, he felt fine.

Yichen on the other hand was having a tough time.

"What's their problem?"

"You dare look down on my husband!"

"Don't even think of throwing that rock you just picked up." Yichen shouted internally as he glared at a group of young boys by the road.

Mochou looked up at Yichen and noticed his furrowed brow and obvious anger. The way he glared at everyone who passed was both warm and painful to see.

"I'm glad he's being protective of me, but if this continues he'll become isolated from the other people in town." Mochou thought as he held Yichen's hand.

Thankfully it only took twenty minutes to walk through town without incident.

Reaching the front they saw a group of people waiting by a shady tree.

"How long until old man Jin comes by with the ox cart?" Yichen asked the group.

"He usually comes around this time. Maybe 20-30 minutes." An older man said.

"That long huh... Mochou let's find a seat in the shade. The sun his getting hotter." Yichen advised.

Mochou didn't say anything. He simply followed Yichen's lead. Looking around the tree there weren't many places to sit down. Yichen kindly found a spot and had Mochou sit down to rest. He then used his body to help make the shaded area around Mochou bigger.

"How considerate." Mochou thought. His eyes were always looking at Yichen. While Yichen continuously scanned the area around them as though he was on alert.

"Can you believe it. A GER forcing his husband to stand in the hot sun while he rests ?" A woman whispered. Her voice was low and she covered her mouth modestly but Mochou and Yichen both heard her speak.

"As a GER am I supposed to be subservient to my husband?" Mochou wondered. It wasn't an absurd notion considering how similar society was to ancient China. However Yichen never made him feel that way.

He curiously looked up at Yichen to see his reaction and noticed him grinding his teeth.

"Yichen, thank you. You are not only strong and well educated but also kind and considerate. I think all men should be like you and consider the needs of others."

Mochou did his best to praise Yichen. He hoped his words could help ease some of Yichen's anger and show those woman that what Yichen was doing was a wonderful deed not an act to be pitied.

The woman who spoke gave Mochou a nasty look, but Mochou didn't care. He ignored her and continued to look at Yichen with kind loving eyes.

Yichen looked back at him softly. But he still seemed on edge in Mochou's opinion. So Mochou raised his hand towards Yichen.

Seeing it, Yichen instinctively reached his hand out and took it. Mochou squeezed it and smiled. His smile seemed to help and Yichen visibly loosened up.

"I hope we can find everything we need in town today." Mochou said. He started to talk hoping to distract Yichen from all the dirty looks and malicious whispers around them.

"There is a lot to buy. I think when we are done it might be nice to hire an ox cart to send us back." Yichen proposed.

He didn't have much confidence that taking the cart with other people wouldn't lead to an incident. So he decided the cost was worth it if it meant Mochou wouldn't have to suffer.