Chapter 31: Fish

"How is it? Did we catch any fish?" Mochou called out from the riverbank.

Yichen looked into the trap and didn't know what to say. They did catch something. But what they caught was far from what Mochou wanted. At a loss for words Yichen decided to carry the trap over and show Mochou the results so he could see it for himself.

Mochou who was impatiently awaiting Yichen's answer stretched his neck so he could look into the trap the moment Yichen was close enough.

??

"I don't understand? It worked really well the first time. Sorry Yichen. I failed." Mochou said. His face was scrunched up from the guilt and disappointment when he saw they had only caught two little fish.

"Those aren't even fish. They are nothing more than bait or something children keep as a pet in a fishbowl." Mochou muttered.

Seeing how upset Mochou was from the sight, Yichen considered revealing the truth about the three fat fish Mochou had apparently caught the first time he used there trap.

"Maybe if he knew the truth he wouldn't feel so bad?" Yichen thought. However before he could speak Mochou's expression changed again.

"Yichen, it didn't work this time but I'll find another way to catch some fat fish for you. This trap was hastily made anyway. My next one will definitely be better." Mochou promised as he considered his options.

"In the meantime, how about I catch us some fish for tonight?" Yichen offered with a smile. He was glad Mochou had a quick change of heart. But the fact remained they needed something to eat and it was getting dark.

"Can you?"

"I can try." Yichen said with a light chuckle.

...

Mochou anxiously watched Yichen try to catch fish by hand.

"Yichen look I see one over there."

"Don't rush or you'll spook it."

"You can do it Yichen, just be patient. Let it come to you."

Yichen wanted to laugh. Mochou was treating him like a child who had never attempted to catch a fish before. Not only that but he also acted as though he had a lot of experience and could teach him.

"My Bae is so smart. Everything he says is good advice, but it really isn't necessary." Yichen thought as he tried to focus on the task at hand.

Not long after entering the water Yichen came across a big fat fish. He positioned himself perfectly and waited. Moving slow and steady...

Splash!!!

"Mochou look out!" Yichen shouted as he threw the fish onto the riverbank.

Mochou stepped out of the way and watched as a fish landed next to him and began flailing around.

"So big! Yichen your amazing." Mochou called out as he bent down to capture the fish. He had already prepared some long grass that he carefully brained into a rope so he could tie them together.

"I see some more over there. I'll try to catch a few more." Yichen proudly said as he headed further into the river.

"Okay, but be careful." Mochou said as he dealt with their current fish.

In the time it took Mochou to properly secure the first fish, Yichen caught and threw two more onto the riverbank for him. Feeling triumphant and excited Yichen was ready to do more.

"Mochou, how many do you want?" Yichen asked.

"I can eat 1 maybe 1 and a half. How many will you need to feel satisfied?"