Chapter 62: Wood Carving

Yichen woke up in a terrible mood. He had hoped to have fun with Mochou at night but once again Mochou fell asleep on him.

"Should I wake him?" Yichen wondered as he watched Mochou comfortably sleeping in his arms. His fingers slidding Mochou's collar lower and lower to expose his pale white skin underneath.

Gulp*

"I want to touch him." Yichen thought as he stared longingly at Mochou's nape. His fingers were tempted to do more than touch.

"Achoo!"

Feeling a chill Mochou sneezed, grumbled and shifted in his sleep.

"I should leave before I lose control." Yichen concluded. His desire was  now replaced with guilt. He quickly fixed Mochou's robe and gently slipped out from underneath him. Without waking, Mochou felt around the bed in search of warmth. Yichen took the quilt and warmly tucked him in.

"Sleep tight." Yichen whispered.

He gave him a light kiss on the cheek and without waking Mochou he changed clothes and left the house early in the morning.

...

Mochou felt around the bed. His body instinctively searching for Yichen. Not finding him Mochou forced his eyes open.

"Yichen?" He whispered to the silent room.

Ding*

With only the sound of the wind chime moving in the breeze Mochou felt cold and alone. Barely awake his mind was slow to react. It wasn't until several minutes passed that he finally realized why Yichen wasn't there.

"That's right. Yichen left to go get a job."

He thought about laying back down to sleep. Looking at the empty bed though left him feeling lonely.

"I should test out my carving tools." Mochou decided.

He got out of bed and dug out the box with the carving tools they bought when he planned to make a bow. Looking at the wood he thought about making his bow.

"If I make the bow will Yichen let me use it? We did see that roe deer the other day. Then again..."

Mochou waved his left arm that had finally been taken out of the splint. It didn't hurt but it felt stiff and weak.

"... it's probably best not to push myself too hard. My compound bow is easy to use but it still requires some strength."

Deciding not to make his bow Mochou chose to first test his skill on the ten copper coin wooden horse Yichen bought.

"This thing is horrible." Mochou thought as he looked at the wooden toy. It was closer in appearance to those rough block toys children can build than a horse.

Mochou picked up the sharp chisel and began quickly whittling away at the wood. At first he worried his skills had dulled because he no longer had his muscle memory to rely on. However it didn't seem to be a problem.

The horse was made of basswood. It was soft and a creamy white colour. As he chiseled and carved away at the wood Mochou smiled softly. He felt the chisel gliding through the wood.

"I missed this feeling." Mochou thought as he changed to a smaller tool to add more intricate details.

Within less than twenty minutes he was done. He placed the now  beautifully carved horse on the table. The mane was carved to look as though it was flowing freely in the wind. It's toned powerful muscles were fully displayed in smooth curved lines. Even the eyes had a life to them. Despite its beauty Mochou felt unsatisfied looking at it.