Chapter 44: Buying Land (pt.2)

Walking back Mochou found himself vigilantly scanning the area around them. After living in an apocalyptic world overrun by zombies he was no stranger to the act of watching his surroundings carefully.

"I don't see anyone near our house but they might have already gone inside or they are currently hiding in the forest." Mochou thought as he squinted his eyes in a poor attempt to see farther.

"Has anything happened recently?" Yichen's father was compelled to ask his son when he noticed Mochou's behaviour.

Yichen understood why he would ask. To be honest he was also worried about Mochou. It wasn't unusual for him to be in on guard but usual when they were together Mochou wasn't so tense.

"The traps Mochou set up in the forest were tampered with. We also suspect that whoever did it took any animals that were caught." Yichen said.

"That's a serious accusation. Are you certain?"

"Absolutely. Mochou's traps are rather unique so it's easy for him to see if anyone aside from himself has touched them. This morning when we went into the forest to check we found that all of them had been reset improperly." Yichen explained.

"I see. I'll look into it. I can't guarantee we will find the culprit. However, now that I know there is a problem I will take measures to unsure it doesn't happen again or that the person responsible is caught. All I ask is that the two of you are patient and don't try to take matters into your own hands." Yichen's father said as he looked at Mochou with concern.

"Thanks for the help. So about those wells, where are they?" Yichen said.

"They should be in similar locations to the one in Mochou's yard. Let's line ourselves up with the one in Mochou's yard and walk in a line away in search of the new wells."

"Sounds easy enough."

"Before that, Yichen go get three long sticks." His father requested.

Yichen ran to the hut and jumped over the wall. He found three long bamboo poles Mochou had gathered from the forest. That were a descent length before jumping ovwr the wall again and running back to his father and Mochou's side.

When he returned they quickly walked across the grassy area next to Mochou's wall until the were lined up with the well in Mochou's yard.

"Now there is no guarantee they will line up exactly but they will be close. Let's spread out a little and walk slowly move forward. Don't forget to use the pole to check the ground ahead of you. If you aren't careful you could fall into the well we are looking for." Yichen's father warned.

"Mochou, why don't you stay here?" Yichen suggested.

"I'll be careful. Let's go." Mochou said before he began poking the ground in front of him.

Yichen stood right next to him planning to move forward together. His father grabbed his arm and pulled him further away.

"I said we need to spread out." Yichen's father told Yichen as he pulled him away from Mochou.

Yichen grumbled reluctant to move. His father didn't care and forced Yichen to begin his walk at least an arm's length away from Mochou.

...

Tap* Tap* Tap* Thunk*

"I found another one!" Mochou shouted.

They had walked the line and found two wells both were covered in wood that had begun to rot through. To mark their location Yichen's father hammered in some long spikes to work as markers.

Mochou looked how far they had walked from their yard. The distance was further than their original plan meaning they would have more room to build their new home on.