Chapter 9: Rental Fee

Mochou walked a couple meters away from Yichen through the forest. For reasons difficult to explain he was uncomfortable getting any closer to him.

Yichen didn't seem to mind. He slowly walked along with him chatting all the way.

"Last year I went to the coast. They had these large salt fields that were covered in beautiful white salt. It looked like a field of snow without the teeth-chattering cold." Yichen said. It was one of the many stories he'd told Mochou as they walked.

"He's kinda sweet the way he keeps talking. I wonder if he's nervous?" Mochou wondered.

"Mochou, have you ever wanted to travel?" Yichen asked.

"Traveling sounds fun but I'm more concerned with what my next meal will be right now." Mochou said.

Yichen looked over at Mochou next to him. Mochou looked thin and weak. At best he was tall enough to reach Yichen's shoulder. Anyone who looked at him would think he was pitiful, but Yichen was attracted to his eyes. Mochou's eyes were beautiful and full of life. There was nothing pitiful about him in Yichen's opinion.

"I won't let you starve." Yichen promised.

"That's sweet but I'm not your responsibility." Mochou said with a light chuckle.Hearing him laugh even a little brightened Yichen's day.

"You could be." Yichen wanted to say what he really thought. but things weren't  that simple. He told himself to be patient and remaining silent. His response was only a simple smiled for now.

"I can't rush things. Not until I can guarantee I won't hurt him from acting rash." Yichen thought.

Feeling awkward Mochou sprinted away. Without saying a word he knelt down and set up another trap. While he did that Yichen walked around the area and picked up a few medicinal herbs. Some were for digestion and immune boosters. He also added the ginseng he dug up for Mochou the day before.

He then walked over to Mochou who was almost done setting up a noose trap that could be used to catch a rabbit.

"I found these medicinal herbs. You should use them. They will help improve your health." Yichen said as he offered the herbs to him.

"What are they for and how should I use them?" Mochou asked. He knew a good amount about medicinal herbs from survival training, like the ginseng and honeysuckle but not the other three.

"This is called dang Shen, boil the root as a tea it will help boost your immune system and digestion. This one is bai zhu it works best when combined with other herbs to help the body process and absorb the benefits from the medicine." Yichen explained. He then pointed to the ginseng Mochou recognized.

"This is ginseng. It is important to drink it as a tea when you are feverish. This third one is called Jin yin hua, it will help your body fight against illness and boost your recovery." Yichen explained as he pointed to the ginseng and honeysuckle flower.

Mochou knew Yichen's description of the honeysuckle and ginseng was accurate. Therefore he had no reason to doubt that the other three were also true.

"Do I just need to boil them into a tea?" Mochou asked thankful for the herbs.

"You do but you shouldn't mix these two together in the same tea. It's best to drink these two in the morning.  This one when you eat, and this one at night before bed. You can add the bai zhu to each tea to help your body absorb the benefits." Yichen patiently explained.

"That will be a little difficult." Mochou admitted.

"Why?" Yichen asked surprised. It wasn't difficult to make tea.