Chapter 3: Death

"Left!!!" Go left!" Mochou shouted as they ran forward.

They had made it passed the road blocks and their goal was within sight when a horde of zombies appeared out of nowhere. Mochou took charge and directed the team towards a building he knew to be safe.

His team had previously scavenged the area less than three weeks earlier. He couldn't guarantee it would be clear, but it was their best bet.

Gggrrraaw!!!

Swoosh - thunk*
Swoosh - thunk*

Bang!*

Mochou shot two arrows directly through the skulls of some oncoming zombies. He then kicked a third away and effectively cleared the way for everyone's escape.

"Mochou where are we going?!" Zi Ruo shouted. Mochou had made sure he was within reach at all times. Using himself he acted as a tank to protect Zi Ruo.

"Tch! Why's he so weak?" Mochou thought as he smashed the head of another zombie that had gotten close.

Most of the zombies were low level. They were sluggish, rotting corpse that only had one objected. To tear the flesh of any living creature within reach.

Mochou grimaced at the situation. If it was his usual team with Fei Long they would have escaped the horde long ago. The stories Zi Ruo had told him about his team's exploits were grossly exaggerated and Mochou was paying for trusting him at his word.

"Stop cowering behind me and use that damn lead pipe to bash their brains in!" Mochou shouted. He was getting tired and his patience was reaching its limit.

Zi Ruo and the team did as they were told but in Mochou's eyes it was pathetic. He pushed forward killing and smashing the skulls of zombies left and right to clear a path to a block of townhouses he was familiar with. If they could reach the roof they could travel safely out of the hordes range by crossing the roofs until they reached their parked vehicles not far away.

Swoosh - thunk*
Swoosh - thunk*
Swoosh - thunk*

Mochou shot three more arrows. He was running low. Normally he or his teammates would have time to gather his arrows but these idiots were no help.

"When I get back it'll cost me a huge chunk of my savings to refill my quiver with arrows." He cursed as he tried to pull an arrow out of the skull of a fallen zombie.

Zi Ruo suddenly pushed him forward. "What are you doing scavenging?! We need to go!" He shouted as he urged Mochou to forget about the arrows and instead focus on rushing ahead.

Mochou wanted to complain and shout back when a chill ran down his spine. It was a high level zombie. He could tell because the usual lifeless eyes showed a shimmer of intelligence.

"F***!" He cursed before grabbing Zi Ruo by the forearm.

"Don't stop! Run!" He shouted aloud as he pulled Zi Ruo along.

The high level zombies weren't impossible to fight, but they were difficult to handle within a horde. They moved fast and often hid behind the low levels to strike from behind. Mochou couldn't focus on the high level zombie while also protecting Zi Ruo and the rest of the team.

"Where do we go all the doors are blocked. There's no way off the street!" A man shouted.

"Head for the truck!" Mochou responded as he pushed Zi Ruo ahead.

The team didn't hesitate and ran forward. The front entrance was barricaded. There was a delivery truck parked against the front of the building. Mochou and his team had set it up a couple months back as a makeshift stronghold. All they needed to do was climbed onto the roof of the truck and enter through a broken window on the second floor.