Chapter 20: Bo Chen's Decision

Mochou listlessly wandered through the first checking his traps. He had caught over a dozen rabbits and a few quails but for some reason they weren't enough to bring his mood up.

"It's really quiet." Mochou thought as he looked around the forest.

He never noticed before because recently Yichen was always by his side. Even when they weren't chatting he was there living, breathing, moving. That alone was enough to fill the space around Mochou with sound.

After checking his final trap he didn't bother to explore further or wander around the forest in search of new edible plants. Instead he chose to quickly return to his little hut.

"I'll work on the garden and keep myself busy. I'll be so busy I won't be able to think about Yichen and how much I miss him after less than a day." Mochou announced as he hurried home.

When he got home, he was surprised to find a woman standing by his gate.

"Who is she?" Mochou wondered as he slipped behind a tree. His eyes narrowed as he observed the strange woman. The woman was a natural beauty with a calm serene face. She stood waiting but did not look impatient or angry.

"That's a bamboo steamer? Could it be mine?" Mochou wondered as he looked at what the woman was carrying.

"If it is she must be from Yichen's family. I shouldn't keep her waiting."

Mochou hurried out from behind the tree and rushed over. His health had improved a little but a few days of eating well wasn't enough to make up for a lifetime of neglect and abuse. Even before he managed to reach her he was out of breath and sweating.

"Hello, may I help you?" Mochou said.

The young woman had seen Mochou rush over. When he spoke she gave a gentle smile.

"I'm Yichen's eldest sister-in-law, Meng Yao. Yichen can't come to visit you until the wedding day or unless the matchmaker is present for an official visit. So I've come in his place to return this to you." Meng Yao said.

"How were the buns? My ingredients are limited but I hope they were okay." Mochou said as he stepped forward to take the bamboo steamer from her.

"They were delicious. I'm curious how you managed to make them so fluffy." She said.

"If you want the recipe I can tell you. They are very easy to make." Mochou said.

"Perhaps another day. I need to return to the house and help prepare dinner." She said.

"I see. Umm, Meng Yao can I ask how Yichen is doing?" Mochou nervously asked.

"Hehehe, he is a mess. I have never seen the third son so froth with worry. Normally he is someone who lives a carefree and forgive me for saying a selfish life. However since revealing his intentions to marry you his focus has changed. It is very endearing to watch. I hope the two of you will marry soon." She said with a light chuckle.

Mochou turned bright red. A warm feeling fluttering around inside him.

"Thank you." Mochou shyly whispered.

"Have a good evening." She said.

"Do you want me to accompany you?" Mochou asked. He was worried if he let her leave as is she might think badly of him. The last thing he wanted was to leave a bad impression on Yichen's family.

"Hehehe, that is very kind of you. However I will be fine on my own." She said before once again trying to walk away.

Rustle*

Feeling the basket in his back move Mochou had an idea.

"Wait. Before you go. I have something for you and the family." Mochou said.