Chapter 15: Town

Yichen stood on the side of the street at the morning market in Town. He had the basket of rabbits and one in his hand raised up high above his head. He shouted loud and enthusiastically for the attention of those walking by.

"Rabbits! Quails! Delicious! Fresh meat. It doesn't get any fresher than living breathing meat!" He shouted.

With his lively tone and handsome face it wasn't long before several people stopped. Yichen worked quick. Within ten minutes he sold nine out of the fifteen rabbits for 18 large copper. The quails on the other hand were proving to be a challenge.

"These things are too small to attract buyers." He thought then he had an idea. He raised the little bird and began to promote the little quails.

"Eat like the rich! Why share one chicken when you can each have your own personal quail? Buy one for everyone in the family!" He shouted.

His shouts got him a few glances, but no takers. So he had to try something else.

"Quails! Live quails. They may be small now but fatten them up a few weeks and they will double in size!" Yichen shouted.

This time he caught the attention of a man. The man looked poor compared to the others. Most likely a farmer who had come to sell some vegetables and his excess rice left over from the winter months at the morning market.

"How much for one quail?" The man asked.

"5 small copper." Yichen said.

The man grimaced as though the price was too high.

Then Yichen had another idea when he saw the man's bamboo basket full or bags of rice.

"I'm willing to trade. One 5kg sack of rice, for three quails?" Yichen said.

"This is rice harvested from my own fields it is delicious and worth more than a few little birds." The man scoffed.

"I will trade you five quails for two 5kg bags of rice."

"I said no to trading 5kg for 3 birds so now you want 10kg for five? Do you not know what it means to negotiate?!" The man shouted.

"I also have some rabbits? I can make a deal with the five quails and a rabbit." Yichen said.

The man however felt insulted and walked away. Luckily it wasn't a total waste. Another man overheard that Yichen was willing to trade and decided to make his own offer.

"Give me the five quails and two rabbits. In exchange I'll give you 10kg of rice and this basket of fresh vegetables taken directly from my garden early this morning.

Mochou didn't ask for vegetables, but Yichen didn't dismiss the offer.

"Right now he's eating wild plants gathered from the forest. Burdock root and onions can be tasty but he needs a more balanced and varied diet. Plus Mochou mentioned wanting seeds to start a garden. He can collect the seeds from these vegetables after he eats them." Yichen concluded.

"5 quails and 1 rabbit." Yichen counter offered.

The man seemed to be thinking it over. So Yichen pushed a little more.

"These quails may be small now but they are like chickens. Easy to fatten up. Give them one week and they'll be the size of a small chicken. Two and you could easily resell them for 7 small copper each." Yichen said.

The man seemed to agree with Yichen's reasoning.

"Okay you have a deal young man." He said.

Yichen was glad. Getting 10kg of rice meant Mochou wouldn't have to worry about buying rice for at least two months. Plus it was a good deal for him. The rice would normally have cost him 6 large copper plus the vegetables for another 5 small copper. While the quails and rabbit only had a value of 4 large copper and 5 small copper.