Chapter 66: Yichen's First Day at Work (Pt.2)

When Yichen returned he couldn't believe what he was seeing. Mochou was carrying a large pot of soup to the table for lunch. Without hesitation he dropped everything and ran over to take it from him.

"Mochou, what are you doing?" Yichen asked. He didn't want to scare Mochou like he had previously so he spoke in a quiet voice. But his face showed how incredibly worried he was.

"You're mom asked me to carry this to the table." Mochou nervously explained.

"You should have refused. We talked about this." Yichen said. Mochou was hurt by Yichen's words.

"I know but..."

"Yichen you're back." Yichen's mother said. She had just walked out from the kitchen holding a plate of stir fry vegetables.

"Mom, why is Mochou carrying this heavy pot of soup? Didn't I tell you he isn't feeling well and needs to take it easy." Yichen complained.

"Yichen, stop. You are acting as though I were trying to kill him. You shouldn't be coddling him. Mochou isn't some invalid. He is more than capable of carrying a pot of soup." His mother rebuked.

"I'm not coddling him. I'm looking out for his health." Yichen asserted.

"His health? Yichen, that GER has suffered all his life. He will never be healthy like you and your brothers. That doesn't mean he can't do anything. You need to have him do things. Otherwise you'll live your life taking care of him instead of building a life with him. I agreed to the marriage because I thought he would be a good partner for you. Not someone you would be forced to take care of. Stop letting him laze around the house all day because of his health." She said.

She normally wouldn't have been so harsh but Meng Yao's condition hadn't improved all morning and she was worried. Worst was that she spent the day dealing with what she believed to be Mochou's laziness. In the end she released her frustrations and worries on Yichen.

"You're wrong about him. Mochou has never been lazy. He is incredibly hardworking. It took a lot of effort to convince him to slow down for his health." Yichen tried to defend Mochou's behaviour but instead he made things worse.

"Slow down? Has marriage turned you into a fool? A fool who will beg his own father for odd jobs so he can support a lazy spouse? This is unbelievable. I never should have agreed to the wedding." She proclaimed in disgust.

"You're wrong!"

"How am I wrong?" She asked expecting an explanation.

Yichen desperately wanted to tell her about Mochou's pregnancy. It he made a promise and he was determined to keep it. With no other choice, Yichen took Mochou's hand and planned to leave.

"Yichen don't be child. You can't runaway when things don't go your way." She said when he tried to leave.

Mochou could tell things were heading in a terrible direction. Not wanting Yichen to jeopardize his relation with his mother Mochou made a decision. He stepped between yhem and with resolve chose to reveal the truth.

"Yichen isn't coddling me. He wants me to rest because I'm pregnant." Mochou revealed.

The room went silent. Both Yichen and his mother were staring at him jaws dropped and eyes wide.

"Impossible! I refuse to believe some GER got pregnant before me!" Ke Xin shouted from the doorway.

"What? Who's pregnant?" Yi Xuan exclaimed from behind her. He and their father had just returned from outside to have lunch. When they heard the commotion.

Mochou was quickly losing all determination he had when he revealed the pregnancy. Thankfully Yichen's mind had time to reboot itself and he swooped in to take control of the situation.