Chapter 72: Two Days

| "This again. Yichen is going to be so worried when I wake up." Mochou thought as he found himself in the strange dream once more. This time he was sitting against a wall along the street in pain.

"I must be a child again. These injuries... was the original owner beaten by his parents again?" He wondered while he leaned against the wall struggling to breathe.

From down the road an older woman walked over. She had ruddy cheeks and a sorrowful look in her eyes as she looked at Mochou.

"Poor dear, come here. Let's go see my husband." She said.

The original owner didn't move. Mochou wasn't sure if it was from pain or because the young boy was afraid to trust anyone. The older woman didn't seem upset or fazed by his unmoving self. She bent down and took the boy's small pale hand. The boy tried to pull away but she held him tight.

"Mochou, do not be afraid. We only wish to help." She said.

Mochou was touched by the older woman's kindness. If it was him he would go with the older woman. The original owner however had suffered too long. He used the last of his strength to pull his hand free and run away.

...

The lights flashed before his eyes. Mochou hoped it was the end but when he opened them again he found himself still stuck in the dream. This time his body seemed to be a little bigger yet still plagued with wounds.

Laying in a field, buried in the grass Mochou was once again approached by the old lady.

"I guess she didn't give up. That's good." Mochou thought. The original owner must have felt the same because he forced himself off the ground and silently followed the old woman.

"Have you eaten?" The old woman asked.

The original owner shook his head. Mochou wasn't surprised to find out he hadn't eaten and neither was the old woman. A few minutes later they reached the same gate Mochou remembered walking through just before he collapsed.

"I see... the old woman's husband is the doctor." Mochou now understood why he was having the dream.

Mochou followed the old woman inside. His body slumped over and his eyes looking down cowardly. Despite his gaze pointing to the floor Mochou noticed the friendly old man walking towards them.

The man seemed accustomed to treating the troubled Mochou. He led Mochou to the back room where a tub of warm water and a clean robe was waiting for him. The old lady went inside and helped Mochou wash up.

Mochou never said a word the entire time. The old woman and man didn't force him either. The simply treated him kindly.

"Caihong made some sweet osmanthus cakes. You can have one after you finish your porridge" she said. Mochou could feel himself smiling. Seeing how well the old couple treated the original owner of his body Mochou also wanted to smile.

"It's great to know there are at least a few people in this world who couldn't ignore the suffering of a child. What makes it even better is knowing Yichen is now working with the kind old doctor."

...

The lights before his eyes flashed again and he found himself a little older again. The memory was very similar to the other two. He was injured and the old woman and doctor helped him wash up, treat his wounds, and feed him. After the fifth time Mochou began to worry.

"I want to see Yichen." He thought as he drank another herbal tea the doctor had prepared for him. It felt like a long time had passed and he was getting tired of the repetition.