Chapter 18: Yichen's Mother

After Yichen left Mochou had a bit of a party for himself. He and Yichen not only shared their first kiss. He also gained a basket full of goodies. The first thing he did after Yichen left was prepare to bath.

While he tidied up and put everything in its place Mochou swayed his hips. He was never a good dancer but when the mood was right he couldn't help himself. As he danced and hummed a catching tune from when he was younger he quickly put everything away and gathered the things he would need for his bath.

Soapnuts weren't that foreign to Mochou. He had seen them back in the modern world. They could be great in a pinch but nothing compared to modern day soap. Even so after not properly washing since coming to this world Mochou was ecstatic to have any kind of soap. He was so excited he even considered going to the river despite it being nighttime to wash.

In the end, he decided it would be too dangerous because he didn't know what kind of animals roamed around at night. So with a bucket and clean cloth he washed outside in the yard.

"The only person who comes by is Yichen. He already left and even if he comes back it will be okay. He's going to be my husband after all." Was his reasoning as he undressed in his yard under the bright moonlight.

Mochou filled his old and new bucket with water from the well and added some hot water he boiled on the stove. Then he started to scrub. As he did the soapnuts started to form suds. Feeling like he was finally washing Mochou continued to scrub every inch of his body until it turned pink.

"I feel so clean!"He exclaimed when he was finally done. Then he looked at the clothes he was going to put on. I washed them this afternoon but I can't help but feel it's a waste to put them on." His sighed as he got dressed.

After washing Mochou started on dinner. He had decided to eat a simple bowl of rice and some stir fried vegetables.

"I can't overdo it with the oil too quickly or I'll just give myself diarrhea. Having food is great but patience is also important." He warned himself as he added barely a teaspoon of oil to the pot full of chopped up eggplant and other greens like onion, garlic, and bokchoy.

While he cooked he also went to work making his pickled bamboo shoots. He had done it before. Although normally he would add extra ingredients like spices. This time however he made simple and only used salt with water.

"If I let them soak overnight I can use them in the morning to make Yichen some buns." He thought as he filled each pot with chopped up bamboo shoots. Once done he covered and set them aside to soak overnight.

Dinner was ready. The rice Yichen had gotten him was probably considered good in this world but for Mochou who had been eating well polished modern day rice it tasted a bit mealy. But Mochou didn't complain. He was still happy to have rice, a proper carb, to eat.

"Now I will be able to have more energy!" He proclaimed as he slowly ate his rice and stir fried vegetables.

"After dinner, he felt exhausted. However he didn't go to sleep right away. He went outside and began to plot out the yard. He took some bamboo poles he gathered from the bamboo forest he went to earlier in the day and stuck them into the yard at certain points to make four sections for his garden.

The first section would be for the fast growing root vegetables like carrots, onion, garlic. Then he had the section by the wall for the vine plants like squash, eggplant, cucumbers, and beans. Next was the plants that preferred shady areas by the hut. Finally was the slow growing plants in the only place left free in the yard.

The yard itself wasn't too big. His little hut was in the center. And it was more of a rectangle than a square. The tree and his garden were located in the front yard with the gate. While the well and bathroom were located at the rear of the hut. Mochou hated the fact the well was so close to the outhouse but there was nothing he could do about it. Not now at least.