Chapter 65: Yichen's First Day At Work (Pt.1)

The next day Yichen woke up first. He slipped out of bed and prepared a fire. Mochou had made some buns the night before so Yichen only needed to warm them up in the bamboo steamer. While the water boiled he looked over at Mochou who was still sound asleep in bed.

"I need to wake him." He thought as he quietly stared at Mochou.

"Five more minutes."

He decided to let Mochou sleep a little longer. There were a few things he needed to get ready and do before they left. It wouldn't be a problem if Mochou slept a little longer.

He started by feeding the birds and rabbits they kept in the yard. He also packed a basket with some of the wood Mochou needed for his carving, his tools, and some dried fruit to snack on.

Once done he checked on the buns and they were fluffy and warm. Using the extra water he made some tea. Everything was fine all that was left to do was wake up the sleeping Mochou.

"Mochou, wake up." He said as he gently shook his shoulder. Mochou grumbled and seemed reluctant to open his eyes.

"I know it's early but you need to wake up. Wake up and eat some breakfast so we can leave." Yichen urged. Mochou glared at Yichen through half open eyes.

"You can go back to sleep at my parent's place. Right now though, you need to wake up." Yichen said with a light chuckle.

He peeled away the quilt and handed Mochou a change of clothes. With no other choice Mochou climbed out of bed and started to change his clothes.

"How late will you be working?" Mochou asked.

"I'll come by the house to pick you up around noon."

Mochou looked like he had something else to say but remained silent. Seeing him hesitate to speak Yichen felt terrible. He could only hope that in time Mochou would feel comfortable when speaking with him again.

"Is there anything else you want to ask me?" Yichen asked hoping to convince Mochou to talk. It seemed to work and Mochou asked him another question.

"Will we be eating lunch at home or with your family?"

"We don't have to eat with my family everyday but I think we should today. In case I run late I don't want to worry about you being able to eat at a decent time." Yichen said.

Mochou could understand his concern so he didn't complain. He did however want to bring something with them for lunch.

"Should we bring a rabbit for lunch? I should have made extra buns or maybe noodles last night." Mochou said regretful he hadn't thought of it last night.

"Don't worry about it. Today is a bit of a last minute decision. We can talk to my mom about it more later." Yichen said.

Honestly he didn't think it was something to worry about. However Mochou had proven once again that he had difficulty excepting help from his family.

"Someday I hope he won't feel awkward when it comes to doing things with my family." Yichen mused.

Mochou went to the bathroom before sitting down at the table to eat. Yichen was prepared and handed him some tea and a couple buns when he returned.

"I'll make egg porridge for breakfast tomorrow." Mochou said as he bit into the buns.

"Do you feel nauseous?" Yichen asked with concern.

"I'm fine. I was just thinking porridge is a healthier choice for breakfast." Mochou said so as not to worry Yichen. He usually liked buns but for some reason they weren't the most appetizing this morning. However he didn't want worry Yichen so he thought if a more suitable reason for his suggestion.