Chapter 45: Hong Family Construction

"Yichen that friend of yours is following us." Mochou said while glancing over his shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I don't remember him being a bad guy when we were younger."

"What do you know about his situation now? Do you know why he is following us?"

"He mentioned his family having financial problems."

"Do you think he might be the thief?" Mochou couldn't help but wonder aloud.

"I'll tell my dad about him later. For now let's ignore him." Yichen said.

Mochou glanced back again. He felt sick knowing he was being followed by a suspicious man.

"If he is the thief shouldn't he be rummaging through our home right now? Unless he plans to pickpocket or maybe his friends are waiting to jump us. Yichen, I really don't like this. We need to confront him." Mochou said.

"I understand it's difficult but ignore him."

"I can't. He is definitely up to something." Mochou said unable to relax.

Yichen let go of Mochou's trembling hand and moved his arm around his waist instead. While half hugging Mochou he whispered low and in a calm steady voice.

"Mochou, listen to me. Even if the world is filled with terrible people I will always have your back. If he tries to hurt us I will beat the sh*t out of him. If we are robbed I will work hard to earn it all back. So relax and trust me. Everything will be okay." Yichen comforted as they continued moving forward.

Mochou tried to relax but his eyes continued to look back at the man skulking behind them. He could feel the unease building deep inside his heart.

"We're here." Yichen said thankful they had reached their destination. Any longer and he was worried Mochou might turn and attack their unwanted stalker.

Mochou took a look at their destination. Unlike most homes the walls were made of a beautiful brick. A nice scent of freshly chopped wood was lingering in the air giving it a unique scent.

Knock... Knock

"Come in!" A young voice shouted from the other side of the wall.

Yichen didn't hesitate and opened the large red gate. Once open Mochou was surprised to see a yard full of wooden planks and partially made furniture. Standing with a broom near the door was a young four year old boy.

"Good afternoon, I'm Yichen. I'm hoping to speak with Jie Hong about a construction job."

"Daddy! Someone is here about a job!" The young four year old boy shouted as he ran towards the house.

"Do we follow him?" Mochou asked.

"Let's wait here." Yichen said as he closed the gate behind him. He wanted to block any sight of their stalker in hopes that Mochou might relax.

...

Less than a minute later a large muscular man came out of the house and walked towards them.

"Little Yichen is that you! Hahaha! You've grown." The man joyously exclaimed.

"Jie Hong, it's been awhile. Mochou this is Jie Hong. He and my eldest brother Yi Ming used to always play and study together. Jie Hong this is my spouse Mochou." Yichen said.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Yichen's spouse Mochou."

"I'm Jie Hong. Congratulations on the wedding. I'm sorry I couldn't join in the festivities. It was so last minute that I didn't find out about it until the next day. But my cousin Gin went and he said the food was delicious." Jie Hong said.