Chapter 49: Missing Herb

"The mule can't pull all of us. Yichen you can walk alongside, Mochou climb you can ride with me." Yi Ming instructed.

"I'm fine walking." Mochou said.

Yichen didn't bother debating with Mochou. He simply picked Mochou up and lifted him onto the mule cart next to his eldest brother Yi Ming.

"Yi Ming, make sure he doesn't fall." Yichen warned before they took off.

"Are they okay?" Mochou asked as he snuck a peek at the two men tied up at the back of the cart.

"They're fine." Yi Ming said.

"Really? Isn't it strange they aren't waking up?" Mochou questioned.

"They were unreasonable last night so my father kindly gave them some medication to help them sleep. If we are lucky they won't wake for a few more hours." Yi Ming explained.

"They drugged them?" Mochou silently questioned as he stared at his husband's calm handsome older brother. He was surprised to hear about them drugging the thieves without remorse. He was surprised but he wouldn't fault them for it. If he had the choice he also would have done the same.

"What will happen to them?"

"I'll be handing them over to the Yamen. Usually in cases such as these the thieves are forced to join the army as foot soldiers." Yi Nao added from not far away.

"Is the country at war?" Mochou curiously asked.

"The country isn't at war. However, our borders in the north are threatened by the nomadic tribes that live in the mountains. They frequently attack and pillage the villages and towns near the border. The Emperor has several army bases set up to combat them."

"I see. In that case being forced to work as a foot soldier isn't that different from a death sentence." Mochou commented.

"The duration of their conscription will vary depending on the severity of their crimes but considering the violent nature of the nomadic tribes it's unlikely they will survive." Yi Nao confirmed.

"Mochou, don't pity them. No one forced them to commit crimes. They deserve what is coming to them." Yichen said.

"I don't pity them. I was only curious." Mochou said.

As a military man he didn't like the idea of people being forced to join the army and it being seen as a death sentence. However he also knew that joining the army and going out to war was exactly that. It was tempting fate and laughing at death. Because on the battlefield the threat of death was always present.

"About these conflicts at the border, is there a chance they might worsen? Is there a chance the Emperor will force a mandatory conscription of his citizens to fight against them?" Mochou asked.

He couldn't help but worry a little because he remembered reading about forced conscriptions of men throughout history and he didn't want Yichen to leave him.

"Don't worry. There is no reason Yichen would be forced to join the army." Yi Ming said.

Apparently Mochou's vague words did not hide his worries well enough because everyone immediately understood what Mochou was afraid of.

Realizing his true feelings were completely exposed Mochou's face turned crimson. Wanting to change the topic Mochou attempted to ask about the Yi Ming's work.

"What is it like being a teacher? Do you like teaching children?" Mochou awkwardly asked.

"It's interesting. Sometimes it can be frustrating but when my students succeed it makes it worth the time and effort." Yi Ming said.