Chapter 13: Yichen's Father (pt.1)

"Dad, can we talk?" Yichen asked while knocking on the office door.

"Come in." Yichen's father answered.

Yichen entered the room and sat across from his father. He looked serious and nervous. His father glanced up at him but didn't say a word. He quickly returned to writing his paperwork.

"..."

The room was awkward and silent for a long time before Yichen finally opened his mouth to speak.

"Dad, about what I said yesterday at dinner..."

"I will not approve of you breaking off the engagement to marry the GER Mochou." His father interjected.

"How did you know?" Yichen asked in shock.

"You are my son." His father said with a stern look.

"Then you understand that I'm serious."

"Yichen you have always been a curious boy. This GER Mochou is just another thing that has caught your attention. It is like your mother said your interest will fade." His father said.

"Dad, it's not like that. I admit he's an interesting person but that's not why I want to marry him."

"Then explain to me why you wish to marry a GER you've only known for three days?"

"I can't explain it. Mochou is an enigma. Seeing him my mind is at ease and all my focus will be on him. I've never been so focused on anyone or anything before." Yichen explained.

"What about medicine? You left with my brother, your uncle, saying it was interesting and a possible career for you. Yet here you are years later and you refuse to apprentice with the doctor in town."

"That was different. Medicine is complicated. I thought learning about the different illnesses and medicine would be something that would never become boring."

"Even so you now find yourself bored of medicine and jobless." His father rebuked.

"It won't be that way with Mochou. I love him. The way I feel about him is like nothing I ever felt before. It's not some passing interest." Yichen asserted.

"Yichen, marry the young lady your mother chose. She is someone who can support you and build a family for you. Even if your interest fades someday it will be fine because the young lady will support you as long as you provide a home and financial security. This GER Mochou can't give you anything."

"I don't need him to give me anything. And I will never grow bored of him. In just one day I saw him go from suspicious to happy, then sad and afraid the way he expresses his emotions and talks keeps me on my toes and makes me fall even deeper for him." Yichen said.

"Yichen, tell me you did not engage in inappropriate behaviour and speak with an unmarried GER alone!" His father exclaimed angrily.

"I... I needed to make sure my interest wasn't only because of his looks. I needed to talk to him."

"Yichen do you understand what kind of rumours could spread if someone saw you? It won't just be your reputation that's destroyed." He said.

"I know, but my feelings for him are genuine."

"Yichen grow up. Feelings aren't enough." His father proclaimed.

"They are for me."

Yichen's father was growing angrier by the second. Knowing he wouldn't be able to get his father's approval if things continued Yichen decided to change tactics.

"If you support my marriage to Mochou I will willingly apprentice with the doctor in the village." Yichen said.

His father and mother had been urging him to continue his apprenticeship with a doctor now that he had returned but he refused. Yichen found learning about herbs and medicine interesting. However being a doctor who sits around treating people for their illnesses wasn't something he wanted to do for all his life. In fact Yichen had no idea what he wanted to do.