Chapter 84: Slow Down

After sending his parents off Yichen headed for the bedroom. In his arms were Mochou's crate full of woodworking tools and his latest project.

"Mochou, my parents are gone." Yichen said as he entered the room.

When he didn't hear a response he looked over and noticed Mochou was asleep. Surprised and grateful for the sight Yichen quietly lowered the crate and sat down in the chair at the corner of the room. He wanted to hold him but Yichen was worried it might wake him up.

Sitting across the room Yichen drifted off in thought. He was contemplating the future and how he could help Mochou.

"He doesn't want to rest. I'll need to find a way to get him to rest without him feeling like a patient." Thinking about it he looked down at the crate by his feet.

"I'll convince him to focus on the window lattices, maybe also making more things to sell in town. When he does his carving he at least sits down. I could also get books from brother Yi Ming and start his lessons. That's another quiet restful activity. While he rests I'll explore the possibility of travelling or other things we can do."

While he sat there watching Mochou he also fell asleep.
...

The next morning Mochou woke up feeling better. Sitting up in bed he looked around the room. He didn't see Yichen right away but then he noticed a shadow moving in the courtyard.

"Yichen, is that you?" Mochou asked. Seconds later Yichen opened the door looking sweaty and covered in dirt. Mochou didn't expect it and was left confused.

"You're awake. How are you feeling?" Yichen asked.

"I'm fine. What are you doing?"

"I'm cleaning the courtyard to make it more comfortable." Yichen explained. Mochou peeked behind him and noticed some of their herbs from the garden replanted in the courtyard.

"What exactly are you doing?"

"I've replanted some basil, lavender, and rosemary plants around the courtyard. I also took the chaise part of the sofa and moved it into the courtyard for you to sit or lay on. Later I was thinking of asking my brothers to buy some lucky bamboo from a shop in town. I would have loved to find it myself but it's faster to buy it. I'm also thinking about getting a little kumquat tree." Yichen said.

"I thought we were going to wait to do the courtyard?"

"We were but the courtyard is the perfect place to relax." Yichen said.

"What about the little pond? We don't have the stones for it."

"I'll get the stones from Jie Hong in a few days but I can dig out the hole first. Right now I plan to only do what I can alone." Yichen said.

"I'll help."

"I'll take care of the courtyard, you relax and do your woodworking." Yichen said.

Mochou wanted to say otherwise. However when he lowered his ankle on the ground the sharp pain reminded him he wasn't in the best shape. He looked over at Yichen and saw the concern on his face. Realizing Yichen was trying his best to not force him to rest but suggest less active activities. Mochou decided it would be best to do what Yichen wanted.

"I really do need to finish the lattice quickly."

"Not too quick. Don't forget to rest." Yichen said with a light smile.

"Have you eaten yet?" Mochou asked.

"Not yet. I can go warm up the steam buns and soup mom made the other day." Yichen said as he wiped his hands with a cloth.