Chapter 10: Family Dinner

Yichen got home just before dinner

Yichen got home just before dinner. In his hands was the little reed cage with the quail inside.

"Hey, third big brother Yichen you're back. Mom's pissed at you." A young boy roughly 14 years old said the moment Yichen appeared.

"Honestly, Yi Xiang when isn't mom angry?" Yichen retorted unconcerned.

"Hahaha, I know but this time I think she's REAL mad. Something about you taking her favourite pot." Yi Xiang said.

"I'll go apologize later." Yichen said before heading over to his room.

"Wait, where are you going with that bird? Shouldn't you throw it in the chicken pen for later?" Yi Xiang asked.

"No, he's coming with me." Yichen stated in a soft tone.

"Why?" Yi Xiang asked. Curious he walked over and squatted down to get a better look at the little quail.

"What's so special about this thing. It looks like a normal quail. It's best to stick it in with the chickens to fatten it up a little before eating it." Yi Xiang said as he moved to poke the little cage.

Smack*

"Don't touch it." Yichen commanded as he smacked his little brother's hand away.

"Hey! Don't hit me. It's not like I was going to hurt it. It's just a stupid bird anyway." Yi Xiang shouted angrily.

"It's mine and you can't touch it." Yichen proclaimed before guarding the cage in his embrace and running down the hall to his room.

"Was that Yichen just now?" An older man in his twenties asked.

"Yeah, something's off with him second big brother Yi Hao. He was protecting this stupid little bird like it was his treasure or something." Yi Xiang reported.

"Maybe he wants to send it to his fiancé as a gift. I used to send my wife little gifts before our wedding day." Yi Hao said.

"He hasn't even gone to meet her yet. I doubt it's that." Yi Xiang didn't seem to agree with his older brother.

"It doesn't matter. Let him do whatever he wants. Mom's calling us for dinner." Yi Hao said. Clearly uninterested in the reason his third little brother was interested in a small quail.

"Great, I'm starving." The Yi Xiang exclaimed as he ran into the house.

...

Yichen entered his room and carefully placed the little caged quail on the table. He then grabbed a small plate from his shelf and poured a little water in it before carefully putting it in the cage.

"I'll get you some food later." He softly whispered as he gently stroked the little quails head.

The little quail began pecking at the water. Seemingly at ease despite having been captured.